Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My four year old HATES swimming lessons.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 4:14 pm
How do I know when to stop pushing it? I really want him to learn how to swim I see with my older kids that they struggle so much because they can’t swim well. But he is really hating it. Very fearful of everything and refusing to follow literally anything the instructor says. I purposely chose this one bec she is supposed to be more slow and paced as opposed to other popular one I hear just basically throw the kid into the water and force them to rely on reflexes I guess. At what point do I stop and say I’m tourturing the poor kid. I think he’s more cautious and fearful in nature and it will prob get even worse when he’s older (as I saw with my older ones)

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 4:23 pm
Don't feel bad about stopping. When we're talking about classes in general, developmentally speaking it works better after early childhood. I didn't learn to swim until I was 7 or so and I felt later than everyone but I was fine and I enjoy swimming. I had to find my own motivation. When I finally put my head under the water, it wasn't during a lesson.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 4:37 pm
He’s young I wait till after 1st grade when they are ready like 6-7. Then they are motivated and old enough to understand what to do

tichellady

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 4:59 pm
maybe he would do better one on one instead of with a group?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 5:03 pm
Can you stop the formal swimming lessons and just take him to the pool every week? If you're in the pool with him and playing in the water together, he'll get used to the water, and using his arms to help him to move will come naturally. Then it's easy to start picking up his legs and kicking. Style and breathing techniques, and even putting his face in the water can come a lot later. Just let him get used to the water at his own pace.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Jun 14 2023, 5:05 pm
The more desperate you are the more the child usually resists.
Try to relax and let go and the more you can do that the faster the child will be interested.
Talking from experience in life
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics