Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How to reduce flatulence associated with beans?
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:40 pm
Soak beans in water with a bit of baking soda, for 18 hours. Drain and rinse very well. Proceed with recipe.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 6:47 pm
[quote="ra_mom"]Soak beans in water with a bit of baking soda, for 18 hours. Drain and rinse very well. Proceed with recipe.[/

18 hours! - interesting. I’ll try it. Thank you!

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:15 pm
Digestive enzymes

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:17 pm
Soak as long as you can. Also change the water as many times as you can on the hour. You will be amazed what comes out after 5 times!

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:27 pm
Rinsed canned beans (canned is already cooked at a high temperature). Or dried beans brought to a boil with a bay leaf and soak for 24 hours.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 8:59 pm
beanzyme

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Jun 12 2023, 9:24 pm
The enzyme you're looking for is alpha galactosidase. It's in Beano and in other digestive enzymes combos. Check your local health food store.
Rinse beans, soak overnight, don't cook in the soaking water, drain them first.
Cook beans with any of these: seaweed (kombu, dulse), cumin, coriander, fennel seed, aniseed, mint. These herbs are carminative (gas-reducing).

eli7

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 2:06 am
As others said, soaking and changing the water is important. I try to also buy beans from stores that have a lot of turnover and fresh supplies; if dried beans sit around for too long they are harder to cook and digest. When I cook them, I boil them and then strain, rinse, and boil again.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 9:50 am
eli7 wrote:
As others said, soaking and changing the water is important. I try to also buy beans from stores that have a lot of turnover and fresh supplies; if dried beans sit around for too long they are harder to cook and digest. When I cook them, I boil them and then strain, rinse, and boil again.

This!
Bring to a boil strain rinse and boil again Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jun 13 2023, 9:52 am
isrmss91 wrote:
I soak for 24 hours. I cannot understand how there are chulent receipes that call for using dried beans without soaking first. Those type of receipes are a sure fire way to disaster for it's consumers and everyone else around. Twisted Evil

The type of cholent one wishes to serve the enemies of Israel...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 7:56 am
amother Amethyst wrote:
Soak as long as you can. Also change the water as many times as you can on the hour. You will be amazed what comes out after 5 times!

Thank you so much! I’ll try that!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 7:58 am
amother Slategray wrote:
Rinsed canned beans (canned is already cooked at a high temperature). Or dried beans brought to a boil with a bay leaf and soak for 24 hours.

Rinsing canned beans does not help us. But I’ll try the bay leaf idea. Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 8:01 am
tichellady wrote:
beanzyme

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 8:02 am
sarahmalka wrote:
The enzyme you're looking for is alpha galactosidase. It's in Beano and in other digestive enzymes combos. Check your local health food store.
Rinse beans, soak overnight, don't cook in the soaking water, drain them first.
Cook beans with any of these: seaweed (kombu, dulse), cumin, coriander, fennel seed, aniseed, mint. These herbs are carminative (gas-reducing).

Thank you so so much!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 8:02 am
[quote="eli7"]As others said, soaking and changing the water is important. I try to also buy beans from stores that have a lot of turnover and fresh supplies; if dried beans sit around for too long they are harder to cook and digest. When I cook them, I boil them and then strain, rinse, and boil again.[/quote

Thank you!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking