Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
If you taught kindergarten

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 5:49 pm
Both a class of only boys and only girls what were the similarities?
Differences?
Thinking of making a switch and wondering how they differ…
Thanks in advance!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 8:34 pm
Anyone?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 9:07 pm
I've only worked in kindergarten with all girls. Honestly really depends on the class size and support that you have + classroom management. This year's class was particularly great, with wonderful girls!

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 9:11 pm
I’ll echo what was said.
Totally depended on class size, Childrens’ temperament, the support you get, etc. your own teaching style …I had great years with both. Difficult years with both.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 9:37 pm
Thanks!
Another bottlebrush- did you find that the personalities of girls vs boys affected your teaching style? Meaning the stereotype is that girls are more kvetchy vs boys who fight more/ are more physically active. Also in a classroom that is center based can I use the same centers/activities/projects with both boys and girls? I’m thinking the girls are better with the coloring and detailed projects while the boys won’t appreciate that as much/have as much patience. Of course there are exceptions to each of these but I’m talking in general.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 10:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!
Another bottlebrush- did you find that the personalities of girls vs boys affected your teaching style? Meaning the stereotype is that girls are more kvetchy vs boys who fight more/ are more physically active. Also in a classroom that is center based can I use the same centers/activities/projects with both boys and girls? I’m thinking the girls are better with the coloring and detailed projects while the boys won’t appreciate that as much/have as much patience. Of course there are exceptions to each of these but I’m talking in general.

If your teaching style is center based, you will find that boys love that too. You might adjust the content of the centers based on the children. I find the centers really get them to use different parts of their brains.
Definitely with more active groups I did more movement, or used the activities I had and added a more physical component…
I found that the boys were often physically more active but not as much social drama.
I’d say, it’s worth trying it for one year.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 11:28 pm
The girls will often have more patience and interest in sitting down for more intricate crafts and spend more time coloring. They may enjoy acting out and role playing mommies etc, whilst the boys might prefer more action role play.
The boys will often be more energetic and more physical. They may also be less bothered about friendships and you don't have the drama around who's friends with who.
But the stereotype isn't always true.
I did find until I was used to the change, you did have to be more flexible with what you were doing. Ideally you want to visit and get used to a class, have the previous teacher (even if it's not the same children) explain through what she would do so you get more of an idea.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:43 am
Thank you so much!
This was very helpful!

cupcake123

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:45 am
I'll say it...I think girls would be a lot easier

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 6:55 am
cupcake123 wrote:
I'll say it...I think girls would be a lot easier

I actually preferred teaching the boys. Way less drama. All my boys loved the detailed crafts with instructions.
More trucks, less dolls perhaps.
More bikes, less jump ropes. But kids are kids and they all have different personalities, regardless of gender.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics