Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Lakewood for mild dyslexic girl entering middle school

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 12:23 am
We are moving out of a small community to Iyh get a better sit for our daughter. She has a mild learning disability and we were thinking of Monsey but I want to make sure that’s the best choice. Would Lakewood also be something to consider?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 8:11 am
amother OP wrote:
We are moving out of a small community to Iyh get a better sit for our daughter. She has a mild learning disability and we were thinking of Monsey but I want to make sure that’s the best choice. Would Lakewood also be something to consider?

Sadly, Lakewood schools are hard to get into without a learning disability - with one it might be even harder.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 8:19 am
If your not glued to the east coast chicago has a really unique program called reach in all of our schools. May be worth considering if lakewood doesnt have a good option.

oneofakind

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 9:01 am
Brooklyn probably has options.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 9:25 am
If monsey reach out to BAs Mikrah and see if they have spots in her grade. They specialize in dyslexia afaik.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 10:49 am
As a parent of a child who has mild learning issues, he would drown in a lakewood size class. Its something to think about. He manages just fine in his class of 20 with a nice amount of support but the class sizes I read here he would not learn the way he is now.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 10:56 am
Lakewood is really not a good choice for a smart kid with a learning disability. If your kid would do well in a self contained class then maybe, but they are geared for kids who struggle in school across the board.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 10:57 am
Lakewood is a nightmare when it comes to getting accepted to schools. Monsey isn’t that easy either from what I hear.

Sincerely wishing you the best luck in figuring this out! Hug

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 11:02 am
The self-contained program in Lakewood schools is called mekor. It is nothing short of horrendous. It is a very small program, not because all the kids here are so brilliant, but because the program is awful and if you're desperate you use it, but otherwise try your hardest to keep your kids mainstreamed.

If it is truly a mild disability, and you can afford private help, then its fine to come to Lakewood knowing you will have very large classes and very little personal help. But know, you will not be giving your child an excellent education geared towards her particular needs. You will be cobbling together tutors and therapies, and hope that your child emerges whole and healthy.

Sorry, talking from experience....

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 12:02 pm
How does mild dyslexic affect her?
What are her problems?
Could she read?
How is her kria?
Chumash/listen kodesh skills?
Executive function skills?

Girls schools are different then the boys cheder
Dyslexia is a comman enough. It's usually treated intensly in the younger grades if it's mild.

There are for sure kids with problems in the lakewood school system. Many kids have iep's. Having some kids that require extra services is good for schools because they get extra funding. It doesn't hurt to try. Not all schools have the funds for shadows, speech O.T. and social work. Do your research.

Funding for Special Education is better in N.Y. Girls school, class size is the same size as in Lakewood girls schools. I am only aware of schools in Flatbush and parts of Brooklyn and Queens that have shrunk . Not out of choice but because their clientele all moved to Lakewood.Thats why it's easier to get into Brooklyn schools. But not necessarily the same as Monsey or anywhere else. Those schools have grown.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 9:48 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
The self-contained program in Lakewood schools is called mekor. It is nothing short of horrendous. It is a very small program, not because all the kids here are so brilliant, but because the program is awful and if you're desperate you use it, but otherwise try your hardest to keep your kids mainstreamed.

If it is truly a mild disability, and you can afford private help, then its fine to come to Lakewood knowing you will have very large classes and very little personal help. But know, you will not be giving your child an excellent education geared towards her particular needs. You will be cobbling together tutors and therapies, and hope that your child emerges whole and healthy.

Sorry, talking from experience....

Ditto on this. 1000%. I’m living it. Do not come here with any sort of disability. Def not by choice! The funding formula in nj for private schools is disastrous and the help is school specific based on the size of their budgets and hearts. I wish I could move to Brooklyn to help my child😢. Classroom size and getting into school is the least of the issues.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 10:03 pm
Thank you everyone! So so helpful.. now to Iyh make this move happen 😅
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries