Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Designing an adhd friendly house

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 3:27 pm
If you were building a house from scratch, what ideas would you implement to keep things as organized as possible?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 3:30 pm
First thing I can think of is having the laundry room right off the master bedroom so I can undress and toss right into the washer. I have this setup currently and it's a lifesaver.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 3:39 pm
Following, to see if I can find any good ideas to implement in my own house.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 3:39 pm
Built in storage everywhere to keep things in the right places. Like keys and coats by the entry way, baking sheets near the oven etc.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 3:45 pm
There's a book - organizing solutions for people with adhd

Growing

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 3:46 pm
speak to people who built a house and ask them - what do you wish you had done differently

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 3:50 pm
Walk-in closet next to laundry room for storing out-of-season or outgrown clothing. (if it's in boxes in a different area it doesn't happen)

Laundry room on second floor with bedrooms, second stackable unit in kitchen for tablecloths, dish towels, etc.

Large pantry but with shallow shelves, so everything is visible (no relying on memory) and there is enough room to not be always running out of everything. Second freezer in or right near kitchen.

Space near entry for a stroller to park

Kitchen zones for prepping, cooking, baking, serving, cleanup and storage. Add a comfortable seat to nurse baby because once you leave the kitchen you will forget about everything that is cooking.

Playroom (or stairs to playroom) near kitchen so it's easy to keep an eye on kids.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 3:56 pm
nice entrance mudroom
space for
winter wear [boots shawls gloves etc]. summer gear [swim stuff]. rain gear [umbrellas rain boots rain coats].
space for
work bags. bags which need to go to library or errands. favorite handbags
of course a spot for the stuff you need to take with you for the baby or other kids
a space for the phone to charge - the regular and the cell phone - because inevitably - you will remember on your way in or out
outlets in the bathroom and near the bathroom sinks

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 4:00 pm
I’m still holding out for self cleaning counters and a floor that flushes.

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 4:23 pm
Not a very big house on one floor.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 5:18 pm
Cabinets and closets should be shallow so you can fit one layer of things inside, deeper closets you have to be super organized to remember what’s in the back and keep it neat. Requires more space but it you have it it’s so much easier.

amother
Jean

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 5:20 pm
amother Copper wrote:
I’m still holding out for self cleaning counters and a floor that flushes.

A floor drain is a good idea!

Also very low maintenance finishes, not small tiles with endless grout, try for seamless options.

If you are also a little clumsy (like me) consider softer floor materials like linoleum or vinyl over hard tile which is very unforgiving.

Make an entrance straight from the garage/driveway to the kitchen so groceries are more likely to get put away.

Make sure to have convenient trash areas in your kitchen.

A place to sort mail right where it gets brought in. (Trash, filing cabinet, shredder)

A place for wipes or paper towels/spray in every bathroom.

A designated and clearly labeled spot for shaimos, returns, lost and found.

A broom closet in the kitchen (possibly a second in the dining room).

Basically think of what needs to be used or cleaned in a given room and set up storage right there for it. Function over form.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 5:21 pm
The trick is to store things where you use them. Think about where each thing/type of thing is used and have ample storage space for it there.
You want to focus on putting away vs retrieval. It needs to be easy (brainless) to put away. Garbages everywhere. Cleaning supplies on each floor.
Laundry near the bedrooms. Hampers everywhere too.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 11:34 pm
So many great ideas, thank you! Please keep them coming!

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Jul 16 2023, 11:43 pm
Baskets and bins everywhere. With clear labels. In every cabinet and closet.

Dressers that work for your needs!! This one makes a world of a difference in my life.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 12:53 am
For now I'm focused on working on the layout vs accessories. I'm trying to figure out the best layout for a super disorganized, procrastinating mom with adhd. 2 kids with adhd as well... with a capital H Very Happy

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 3:35 am
It's probably a good idea to think about making the next steps visible.

Enter house > place for coats/hats/bags > place to put deal with mail > place to put down groceries

Get food > cook meal > serve meal > clean up meal > wash dishes > put away dishes
You wouldn't want the serving dishes in a different room, or the dishwasher in a butlers pantry.

If you are good about forgetting laundry like me, you might want the laundry space to be open and visible, not tucked into a corner.

You might want the pathway from your bedroom to the steps to pass both the bathroom and the laundry room. You may want a sink for handwashing and toothbrushing outside of the bathroom to be an added visual reminder.

shirachadasha

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 4:31 am
amother OP wrote:
For now I'm focused on working on the layout vs accessories. I'm trying to figure out the best layout for a super disorganized, procrastinating mom with adhd. 2 kids with adhd as well... with a capital H Very Happy

The play area should have enough space to put a trampoline on the floor even while kids are sitting on the floor involved in another activity (eg one kid can jump and the other can build Lego at the same time). There should also be a designated space to store the trampoline.

A "boom room" where kids can make noise without disturbing napping adults and throw balls, frisbees, etc without the risk of breaking something.

DustyDiamonds

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 7:25 am
Main level should have just one type of flooring, without any bumps or steps. This way you can set your robot vacuum to run in middle of the night, every night (my Rav said Friday night too!) and it won’t have trouble navigating from the kitchen, hallway, LR, DR, etc!

I keep my robot plugged into a corner of a hallway, but if I was building, I would have built an open cubby for it with an outlet.

newmother

Post Mon, Jul 17 2023, 7:51 am
Laundry room on the main floor so that you can hear when the load is finished and not forget about it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics