Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Philly “Cheesesteak”

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 2:35 pm
These were fun and satisfying. Portobello mushrooms make a great meat substitute and the marination process adds a whole lot of umami. Very Happy

Excerpt From: Chanie Apfelbaum - Totally Kosher

Philly “Cheesesteak”

Makes 2 sandwiches

There’s just something about the Philly cheesesteak sandwich that made me want to kosherize it—it looks so decadent! Here I use meaty portobellos to stand in for the steak. They make a great replacement. I once made a kosher cheese “burger” with them, and the recipe won second place in a contest from the Mushroom Council of America (you can find the recipe on my blog)!

¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil, divided
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 garlic clove, minced
3 portobello mushrooms, stems removed and gills scraped out with a spoon
1 large Spanish onion, sliced into ¼-inch-thick half-moons
1 green bell pepper, seeds and veins removed, sliced into ¼-inch-thick half-moons
1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
4 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
2 hoagie rolls

In a gallon-size zip-top bag, combine ¼ cup of the grapeseed oil, the soy sauce, Worcestershire, vinegar, smoked paprika, and garlic. Add the mushrooms to the bag, give it a shake, and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.

When the mushrooms are almost done marinating, in a large skillet over high heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the onion and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender-crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Remove the mushrooms from the bag and slice them into ¼-inch-thick strips. Reduce the heat to medium, add the mushrooms, the marinade, 2 tablespoons water, and the Montreal steak seasoning to the pan and sauté, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes, until the mushrooms soften and the liquid thickens to a glaze. Stir the onions and peppers back into the pan.

Top the vegetables with the sliced cheese and cover the skillet with a lid over medium heat for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is just melted. Divide the filling equally between the rolls and serve immediately.

Note

If desired, butter and toast the rolls before filling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals