Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Lcsw vs lmhc?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 9:25 am
Hi,
I originally planned to go after clinical social work but I find myself connecting to the mental health counseling curriculum more, as I know I solely would like to be a clinical therapist. However, I’ve been told that lmhcs aren’t as recognized and don’t have as many opportunities as lcsws. Anyone a lmhc or know of them and can share that I could still be successful and sought out after as a lmhc? Would really appreciate any insight.
Thank you in advance!

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Jun 18 2023, 9:26 am
I was in the same boat. I went for my MSW and don't regret it.

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 10:39 am
Bumping this up as I’m having the same dilemma. Would love some insight

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:53 am
amother Kiwi wrote:
Bumping this up as I’m having the same dilemma. Would love some insight

I originally posted this question and after speaking to many people I decided to go with Social Work because it’s considered to be more recognized and has more opportunities. And side note- if you ever decide to move to Israel, MHC doesn’t exist there and your degree wouldn’t be accepted (from my understanding).

mfttherapy

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 12:05 pm
I am an MFT had the same dilemma. It was difficult but still so happy I did it. You can pm me if you'd like more info.

amother
Peru

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 1:06 pm
I’m going for my MsW because where I live there are more job opportunities even though I do want to go into the clinical field

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 8:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
I originally posted this question and after speaking to many people I decided to go with Social Work because it’s considered to be more recognized and has more opportunities. And side note- if you ever decide to move to Israel, MHC doesn’t exist there and your degree wouldn’t be accepted (from my understanding).

Do you mind sharing which program you joined?

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 11:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

https://theyiep.com/ has a LMHC program that is recognized in E"Y I believe

I was told by a SW that the MHC training is better

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:25 am
I am an LMFT. I did it because the training is better and is solely focused on clinical issues. MSWs often end up doing hospital social work and getting people services, into rehabs, long term care facilities etc.
There may be more opportunities for msw but they aren't necessarily clinical.
I love being an MFT. We also get loads of training in couples and family work- besides individual therapy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics