Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
I'm a grown up hiding from a toddler - help!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:55 am
I'm at a total loss. This is not my first toddler but either I'm forgetting things or I never had this.
My 2.8 year old is non stop whiny and clingy for weeks now. He is in camp with the same teachers as during the year, nothing has changed at home or anywhere. He isn't sick. Half the time he doesn't even know what he wants. I play with him a lot. I read stories, I take him out, I give him loads of attention. He seems to want me every second and even when he wants me he isn't even clear on what he wants. I tried playing with him, playing near him, narrating, having him help me, stepping away and reassuring.
Nothing is helping. I am losing it. I am literally so frustrated. I am starting to dread him being home. He won't go to anyone else. The things I've tried with my others doesn't seem to be working with him. I need space to be a person. When my husband is home he will take him but he is crying and screaming the whole time with him. My older kids are trying too. Same thing.
Please help me. Yes he is at the door crying and screaming because I'm in the bathroom.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 12:28 pm
Anyone??? I just yelled at my toddler. This is not working. I went out to the store for a breather, he is screaming the whole time.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 12:29 pm
call a sitter
or since you know he is safe go out and stay out for longer
can someone take him to the park? or out for ice cream?
does he need a nap?
is he hungry?

English3

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 12:31 pm
Have you taken him to the dr? He might have something going on. A change of behaviour sound concerning. How is he at the daycare?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 12:31 pm
He sounds traumatized about something and doesn't know how to express it. Have you ever left him with anyone that he wasn't familiar with? Did you go on vacation recently? Has something happened at morah?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 12:39 pm
Sounds like separation anxiety. Maybe check for strep.

hodeez

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 12:50 pm
I would just say mommy's not available now and ignore, if he really isn't sick or suffering from some other issue

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 1:01 pm
I literally cannot think of any kind of trauma or change of any sort.
The irony is that I was just planning on going away on a friend's trip for 3 days for the first time in years. My husband was like uh absolutely no way not until this changes. He does not l
It doesn't help to ignore and reassure. It's not changing the behavior. He's always been very attached but this is way worse. He is not like this in camp, only at home.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 1:05 pm
amother Gold wrote:
Sounds like separation anxiety. Maybe check for strep.

I second this
I would otherwise say it's your parenting, you need to set firmer limits, but if it's not your first kid and it's a more recent behavior then it's probably not anything you're doing and it's more likely something causing him to act this way
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics