Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How do you feel about salutations

yo'ma

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 9:21 am
Either texting, phone, or face to face. I know it’s polite, but do you always make sure to text or say hi and insulted if the other party doesn’t?

For texting, I just say what I want and forget about the hi or good morning, unless it’s work related, for the most part or new people I’m texting. And one of my sisters because last time I just texted her, she asked about the hi Laugh . For phone and face to face, always say hi.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 9:23 am
I only say hi if it’s a stranger. My friends and family I just get to the point. But we text so often it would be too much if I said hi once an hour, it’s like an ongoing conversation.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 9:24 am
I'm so ancient that I have to stop myself from starting things with "Dear ____," Smile

baked ziti

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 9:38 am
I do start with a good morning if it's early in the day (before 10) and good night if it's closer to 10 pm. Even with my mother. Dunno why, it just feels right. If it's not someone I txt on a regular basis I start with hi.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:02 am
Are you talking business or personal? Text or email?
Business email:
--First contact, always a salutation. Subsequent contacts, may or may not be dispensed with. Depends on how long it's been since our last contact. In some cases, where the relationship is very formal, always, always, always a salutation. "Dear Commissioner Teitinbankes:" "Commissioner Teitinbankes:" or just "Commissioner:"
Business text: Usually some sort of salutation, even if it's just the person's name. "Maria (if we have that sort of relationship, otherwise Ms. Glockenspiel)--Sorry I'm running late. ETA about 10.30. See you then. "

Personal email:
Dear Daniel/le, or Hi Daniel/le! unless it's a continuation of an existing thread. Why? Why not? To just start talking seems too abrupt.
Personal text: Salutation not necessary, but not inappropriate: "Etty, Safeway has potato kugel, should I get you a few?"
WhatsApp: salutation only if addressing a specific member of the group. So usually "Do we have class next Thursday?" but "Meirav--will you be in class next week?"

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:37 am
I go straight to my question or conversation

I remember, I guess it was the first time, I went straight to my question when my mil picked up and she was like "woah!! How abt hi how are you?"
I was so confused. Why so formal? Im calling with a quick question not to make small talk

Edited to add: I do start conversations and texts with hi. But then I go straight to my question

I think its better this way then when my husbands rebbi from yeshiva called to catch up and then at the end starting soliciting for the yeshiva. My husband was so disappointed.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:39 am
In a text message I usually start Hi, do you know what time.. etc

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:44 am
ra_mom wrote:
In a text message I usually start Hi, do you know what time.. etc

Same, I feel like saying hi, hey, hiya, or even an abbreviation like GM (for good morning), feels kinder and more friendly in a casual text conversation, so I tend to do that.

When people start with just my name it feels very abrupt and sometimes demanding.

Hi Chumie, what’s your ETA?
vs
Chumie, what‘s your ETA?

socialbutterfly

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 11:54 am
For people I don't speak to often "Hey! Was wondering if...." is great.

For people I'm in touch with, I will sometimes start with a salutation and other times just get to the point.

What I don't like is when people start a few back and forth texts of "Hey! How are you?" and a few texts into the convo they ask a favor. If you need something from me, just get to the point! It feels so fake to me.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jul 31 2023, 12:21 pm
It least a Hi is definitely required. Derech eretz.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette