Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Packing seforim

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 9:40 am
Can anyone give tips on packing up seforim to move houses? I don’t want them to be damaged but I’m finding it very tricky fitting them in securely so that there is no extra space in the small box. Should I put plastic wrap around them? How? Any other ideas?? Thanks!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:09 am
I don't recall having damage from Sefarim BH. DH enlisted the help of a SN boy in our neighborhood who kept busy packing and taping (loads of tape! Boy was it a job to open them after!) them all up and stacking them against the wall for the movers. The only tip I remember was (as you say) to use small to mid-sized boxes, so it's not too heavy.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:14 am
Some movers suggest wrapping in plastic wrap in sets so it’s easy to unpack.

I personally used smaller grocery boxes. They were def heavy but movers managed fine.

amother
Fern

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:17 am
We wrapped about 6 sefarim together in plastic wrap then tied string around them for easy carrying.

scintilla

Post Fri, Aug 04 2023, 10:23 am
amother OP wrote:
Can anyone give tips on packing up seforim to move houses? I don’t want them to be damaged but I’m finding it very tricky fitting them in securely so that there is no extra space in the small box. Should I put plastic wrap around them? How? Any other ideas?? Thanks!

I would use towels and similar soft items to fill in the gaps if you couldn't get it to fit perfectly. Worked great. Just make sure it is really tight and you won't need any plastic wrap or anything!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:09 pm
Thank you! I am having a hard time packing it so that there is no space... seforim are all different sizes so it's hard to find a box that matches perfectly... any other tips? or moving tips in general? im desperate!! Can't Believe It

walmart

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! I am having a hard time packing it so that there is no space... seforim are all different sizes so it's hard to find a box that matches perfectly... any other tips? or moving tips in general? im desperate!! Can't Believe It

No box necessary. Take several of the same sized sefarim and wrap in plastic wrap.
Easier to transport and unpack.

scintilla

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 1:32 pm
amother OP wrote:

I'll try break down how I did it:

Stand in front of bookshelf with empty box. Take note of larger seforim and odd sized ones and set aside larger boxes for them, set aside smaller seforim/siddurim etc for filling in smaller spaces. Select seforim set or shelf. Place seforim in box until there's no more space, put box aside. Take new box and continue filling with seforim. It may be helpful to put some vertically, some horizontally, some laying down & some standing up but don't stress out too much. At a certain point, go back and fill in the gaps with smaller seforim, siddurim, towels, even sheets & pillowcases. 90% full is good, 95% is even better, don't stress yourself out trying to get to 100%. Tape shut very securely and label box. Repeat until bookshelves are empty.
Hope this helps!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:08 pm
scintilla wrote:
I'll try break down how I did it:

Stand in front of bookshelf with empty box. Take note of larger seforim and odd sized ones and set aside larger boxes for them, set aside smaller seforim/siddurim etc for filling in smaller spaces. Select seforim set or shelf. Place seforim in box until there's no more space, put box aside. Take new box and continue filling with seforim. It may be helpful to put some vertically, some horizontally, some laying down & some standing up but don't stress out too much. At a certain point, go back and fill in the gaps with smaller seforim, siddurim, towels, even sheets & pillowcases. 90% full is good, 95% is even better, don't stress yourself out trying to get to 100%. Tape shut very securely and label box. Repeat until bookshelves are empty.
Hope this helps!

you are amazing!! I needed this step-by-step so badly... im new at this! TMI

scintilla

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
you are amazing!! I needed this step-by-step so badly... im new at this! TMI

You got this!! I haven't moved in a few years but I actually find seforim the easiest part. It's very clear cut, just empty the shelves and you're done:)

Highstrung

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:28 pm
Plastic wrap or twine . No boxes needed
The movers actually requested no boxes since they get too heavy and plots open at the bottom.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:29 pm
Go to your local Barnes & Noble or other bookstore and ask if you can have some empty boxes.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:54 pm
Before you do anything take a picture of what it looks like so you’ll know where it all goes.. we did that and believe us, it worked so well when we put the Seforim and books back.. I would say seran wrap and then twine and then put into moving boxes.. it will be so much easier to unpack..
Hatzlocha and I hope your move goes smoothe..

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 5:59 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
Before you do anything take a picture of what it looks like so you’ll know where it all goes.. we did that and believe us, it worked so well when we put the Seforim and books back.. I would say seran wrap and then twine and then put into moving boxes.. it will be so much easier to unpack..
Hatzlocha and I hope your move goes smoothe..

Taking pictures is a great idea!
I didn't bother wrapping, just placed straight into boxes and taped shut
Was fine

613mitzvahgirl

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 6:03 pm
You can also take pictures for the rest of the rooms- if it’s feasible to make it easier to unpack..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating