Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
What's better- Hewlett or West Hempstead?
Previous  1  2

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 5:21 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
BUMP.

How are things these days in Hewlett? West Hempstead? We are considering both of these options and would love some input please.

We are currently in Brooklyn. Sincerely frum but not yeshivish. Looking for a community where people are kind and friendly, and where most women cover their hair (to one extent or another. It doesn't have to be sheitels), and wear skirts. And were there are families in the 40-60 age range. Our budget for a house is 800k-900k for a nice, four bedroom, full basement house.

We just moved last week to North Woodmere and we are 40. It’s worth looking into-yes some pockets are Brooklyn-ny but it’s grown so much there’s really a big mix of types and now has like 4 shuls. We joke that it’s the 6th town as it’s not technically one of the 5 but it is at the same time. There aren’t many houses available but in your range you can probably get a high ranch with 4 bedrooms if you’re willing to some cosmetic work. That’s what we did

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:12 pm
I live in 5T (moved from Bklyn)- my kids are grown but I do have yeshivish/professional kids in WH- it IS growing. Hewlett would grow, if only the taxes were not so ridiculously high....

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:21 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
We just moved last week to North Woodmere and we are 40. It’s worth looking into-yes some pockets are Brooklyn-ny but it’s grown so much there’s really a big mix of types and now has like 4 shuls. We joke that it’s the 6th town as it’s not technically one of the 5 but it is at the same time. There aren’t many houses available but in your range you can probably get a high ranch with 4 bedrooms if you’re willing to some cosmetic work. That’s what we did

Please tell me more about North Woodmere, and how it is different from the rest of the 5 towns. Are there colonial homes for around 900K? After seeing several ranch houses, we do not think it is for us.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:23 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
I live in 5T (moved from Bklyn)- my kids are grown but I do have yeshivish/professional kids in WH- it IS growing. Hewlett would grow, if only the taxes were not so ridiculously high....

Are your kids in WH happy? What do they like about living there?

And re Hewlett -- totally, I would move there tomorrow if not for the high property tax.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 7:24 am
Yes! It is still in a "pioneering" stage for the more yeshivish- but it bands that growing community together. Has a real out-of- town warmth.

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 8:07 am
amother Brunette wrote:
Please tell me more about North Woodmere, and how it is different from the rest of the 5 towns. Are there colonial homes for around 900K? After seeing several ranch houses, we do not think it is for us.

No. Colonials are rare and always over a million.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 9:21 am
amother Wheat wrote:
Yes! It is still in a "pioneering" stage for the more yeshivish- but it bands that growing community together. Has a real out-of- town warmth.

That's nice to hear (re "real out of town warmth"). However, please correct me if I am wrong: my understanding is that there are basically two communities in WH -- one more MO; the other (emerging) more yeshivish. We are not really MO or Yeshivish. We may be considered 'Toradic' or RWMO ( I dislike all these categories, but for a lack of a better term). We are professionals, middle class. I have a doctoral level degree. I cover my hair fully, elbows & knees as well but no stockings in the summer. My husband wears a white shirt on shabbos but no hat. He learns whenever he has free time. We also learn regularly as a family but would also watch a (clean) movie. Some of our kids are more the right, while others are more 'middle of the road'. Not sure how else to describe it. Would we fit in?

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 10:07 am
There are SEVERAL DOZEN (I do not know all of them so that are probably more) of families like you in that age range where the women cover their hair fully and elbows and knees. At the non yeshivish shuls, within this group, some husbands wear a black hat on Shabbos, some do not. A number of families are as close to being yeshivsh as possible but are not yeshivish. Children attend or graduated such high schools as TAG, Shevach, Shulamith, SKA, DRS,MAY, Yeshiva of Far RockawayThere are different frumkeit levels in the non yeshivish shuls. The YIWH has the largest congregation and also has the type of people you are looking for. You should contact one of the many shuls (I suggest YI) to arrange to stay for Shabbos. The other shuls (e.g., Anshei Shalom, Eitz Chayim) have your type too, but the YIWH has the most congregants that are what you are looking for. There are also 2 yeshivish shuls (BTU - larger and Bais Midrash of WH- smaller), 2 Chabads , and Sephardic one (House of Torah). There are guards at some shuls and also CSS (Community Security Service) at almost every shul, some shuls have both. The shuls sponsor events together. Many shiurim, including day yomi, are given by shul Rabbis and members throughout the week. There is a night kollel at BTU (open to all men in the neighborhood) and YIWH has a bustling bais medrash. The is a Judaica /seforim store, Hatzalah, Chaverim (assist with car troubles), and the mikvah is being renovated. There are some capes and ranches that were converted to colonials in the price range that you are looking for. There is a butcher/grocery, pizza shop, bakery, sushi and grill, and the stop and shop has a large kosher section including cholov Yisroel items. Several people have Jewish businesses either out of their homes or in a small shop- sheital machers, Shabbos brushups makeup, chocolates, children's and women's clothing). People often go to 5Towns to shop and go out to eat. West Hempstead is a beautiful mix of Orthodox families. There is also a group of singles of all age as well.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 12:33 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
There are SEVERAL DOZEN (I do not know all of them so that are probably more) of families like you in that age range where the women cover their hair fully and elbows and knees. At the non yeshivish shuls, within this group, some husbands wear a black hat on Shabbos, some do not. A number of families are as close to being yeshivsh as possible but are not yeshivish. Children attend or graduated such high schools as TAG, Shevach, Shulamith, SKA, DRS,MAY, Yeshiva of Far RockawayThere are different frumkeit levels in the non yeshivish shuls. The YIWH has the largest congregation and also has the type of people you are looking for. You should contact one of the many shuls (I suggest YI) to arrange to stay for Shabbos. The other shuls (e.g., Anshei Shalom, Eitz Chayim) have your type too, but the YIWH has the most congregants that are what you are looking for. There are also 2 yeshivish shuls (BTU - larger and Bais Midrash of WH- smaller), 2 Chabads , and Sephardic one (House of Torah). There are guards at some shuls and also CSS (Community Security Service) at almost every shul, some shuls have both. The shuls sponsor events together. Many shiurim, including day yomi, are given by shul Rabbis and members throughout the week. There is a night kollel at BTU (open to all men in the neighborhood) and YIWH has a bustling bais medrash. The is a Judaica /seforim store, Hatzalah, Chaverim (assist with car troubles), and the mikvah is being renovated. There are some capes and ranches that were converted to colonials in the price range that you are looking for. There is a butcher/grocery, pizza shop, bakery, sushi and grill, and the stop and shop has a large kosher section including cholov Yisroel items. Several people have Jewish businesses either out of their homes or in a small shop- sheital machers, Shabbos brushups makeup, chocolates, children's and women's clothing). People often go to 5Towns to shop and go out to eat. West Hempstead is a beautiful mix of Orthodox families. There is also a group of singles of all age as well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write me such a detailed, informative response. Very helpful and much appreciated! Wishing you a wonderful shabbos.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Mar 30 2023, 10:35 am
amother Brunette wrote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write me such a detailed, informative response. Very helpful and much appreciated! Wishing you a wonderful shabbos.

Hi Brunette we seem to be similar type - I was wondering whether you did research and what you ended up doing?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 9:51 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Hi Brunette we seem to be similar type - I was wondering whether you did research and what you ended up doing?

Hi there 👋
Sorry, just so your response from several months ago.

We were looking into the Monsey area for awhile, but we decided it doesn't really make sense for us for several reasons, primarily -- the high property tax, and the lack of a cohesive community feel. Mostly young families; Only a handful of people in our age group. So we are starting to look into WH again. How about you? Any update?

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Aug 01 2023, 10:47 am
amother Cerise wrote:

Sounds so built up in the last few years.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 9:54 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
Hi there 👋
Sorry, just so your response from several months ago.

We were looking into the Monsey area for awhile, but we decided it doesn't really make sense for us for several reasons, primarily -- the high property tax, and the lack of a cohesive community feel. Mostly young families; Only a handful of people in our age group. So we are starting to look into WH again. How about you? Any update?

Thanks for responding.

No we are still on the fence.

I know the consensus on this site is that WH has decent starter homes but I'm not seeing it.

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 11:21 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Thanks for responding.

No we are still on the fence.

I know the consensus on this site is that WH has decent starter homes but I'm not seeing it.

West heampstead will be a drop cheaper than the five towns on average but a 1400-1500 sqft starter home will be probably be at least 700 and need cosmetic work.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating