Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How to buy index funds through traditional IRA or separate

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 06 2023, 3:33 pm
account? If you want to buy index funds, and you have a Vanguard traditional IRA account, do you buy it through that or buy it through a separate account, because technically it's not retirement?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 7:37 am
anyone?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 7:54 am
Dh takes care of our finances. We have a Robinhood account. If I'm not mistaken you can buy Index funds that way.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:00 am
Pretty sure you’d need a separate account but why don’t you ask a rep?

RM3

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 8:17 am
Not familiar with with Vangaurd. In Robinhood we have a regular account and an IRA account. Once money was deposited into each account we were able to invest each separate account into different individual stocks and/or funds as we decided. Does that answer your question? I assume vanguard is the same.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 9:33 am
If you have an existing relationship with Vanguard, you set up a separate IRA account.

It needs to be separate because there are rules that govern how it is reported on your taxes; how you access it and how it is taxed when you withdraw funds.

Just contact whoever you deal with at Vanguard and they will set it up for you.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 10:13 am
Please clarify: you have a Vanguard IRA with various funds (possibly including Index) and you want a non-retirement investment account with index funds?
You can go onto their website, into your account, and just open a new non-IRA account. Tell them the funds you'd like to buy - choose Vanguard 500 Index - and indicate the source of these funds. (where you are transferring the money from).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 10:37 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
Please clarify: you have a Vanguard IRA with various funds (possibly including Index) and you want a non-retirement investment account with index funds?
You can go onto their website, into your account, and just open a new non-IRA account. Tell them the funds you'd like to buy - choose Vanguard 500 Index - and indicate the source of these funds. (where you are transferring the money from).
yes, I already have another IRA retirement account. Is there a limit to how much you're allowed to put into an IRA retirement account, I thought it was $6000 a year. Is that separate from employee retirement account? so I would need another account?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics