Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Buyer or seller responsible?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 3:38 pm
If not explicitly stated in the contract, who is responsible for cleaning the house? Is it unreasonable to ask the sellers to have the house deep cleaned before we move in (we haven't closed on the house yet)??

Also, can I insist that they empty out all their furniture? A few things they mentioned leaving because they are so heavy like huge bookshelves. They made it seem like they were doing us a favor and I appreciate it, but I do not want them and it will be a headache to get them out of the house. Is it reasonable to ask that they are taken out before we move in?

Thanks!!

amother
Glitter

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 3:41 pm
Buyer is responsible for cleaning
Your second q is reasonable to ask

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 3:42 pm
The contract should spell this out, though I've never heard of a seller deep-cleaning for the buyer. IIRC our contract stated that the premises needed to be vacated, including all furniture, junk, etc....if you don't want those bookcases, make it clear that you want them removed, otherwise they will be your headache.

I remember looking at a house (that we didn't end up purchasing) where the seller told us he's gonna leave us all his tools. He had a basement full of junk that he didn't plan on cleaning up, that he would "gift" to the buyer. I remember thinking if we take this house, we better make sure the contract says he empties the basement.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 3:45 pm
If it's in the contract then you get to decide. If it's not, then it's on the guy who walks in after and sees the mess. When we bought, I told them to clear out everything. My cousin just bought and they have a hoarders amount of stuff in the basement. Make sure to specify. Also most houses are broom clean, not deep clean.

Batsheva1

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 3:50 pm
It's the responsibility of the seller to leave the house "broom clean" and all items removed. Nothing more.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 3:57 pm
this was all very helpful, everyone! thank you!!! separate question since you all seem like experts: should I clean my dishes, rugs, lamps, etc. before packing them or after I unpack them in the new house? obviously not packing dirty dishes Banging head but if let's say a rug has stains and I need to get it cleaned anyway, should I do it before or after the move? it seems like it would be nice to not have to worry about it when unpacking but otoh I feel like it may be dusty and dirty from the move anyway

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 4:06 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
It's the responsibility of the seller to leave the house "broom clean" and all items removed. Nothing more.

This.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 4:33 pm
Have the rug cleaned because the cleaning service will pick it up and then deliver to your new home - assuming that it isn't miles away. If you are moving a distance have it picked up and cleaned because they will return it rolled up and wrapped so then it is easy to unroll when you move there.

I didn't wash anything that I packed from drawers and closets. I wasn't even that conscientious about washing them when I unpacked. I had wrapped everything in either clean white wrapping paper from the moving store OR the foam envelopes for some of my dishes.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 4:47 pm
Things do get dusty and dirty with the move. I would have things cleaned afterwards once you're settled. I've moved a number of times and no one ever deep cleaned for me. I hired my own crew before I moved in though. And even when they said they would remove all furniture, inevitably they leave some pieces behind. It is what it is.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 7:47 pm
Amarante wrote:
Have the rug cleaned because the cleaning service will pick it up and then deliver to your new home - assuming that it isn't miles away. If you are moving a distance have it picked up and cleaned because they will return it rolled up and wrapped so then it is easy to unroll when you move there.

I didn't wash anything that I packed from drawers and closets. I wasn't even that conscientious about washing them when I unpacked. I had wrapped everything in either clean white wrapping paper from the moving store OR the foam envelopes for some of my dishes.

Thank you very much! This is very helpful

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 07 2023, 7:48 pm
amother Scarlet wrote:
Things do get dusty and dirty with the move. I would have things cleaned afterwards once you're settled. I've moved a number of times and no one ever deep cleaned for me. I hired my own crew before I moved in though. And even when they said they would remove all furniture, inevitably they leave some pieces behind. It is what it is.

Very good to know, thank you! Please keep the advice coming! Smile

amother
NeonPurple

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 9:34 am
I would take everything clean and if it gets dirty during the move then rewash. I can't think of anything that would get dirty because of the moving. You may as well get to your new place with less to do.
Our contract said that the people would leave the house broom clean. I know they ordered a big truck to get rid of everything in the house. We were still left with so much stuff, we ended up hiring a company to clean out the house again.
Hatzlocha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating