Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
My daughter won't urinate

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 8:56 pm
We started training on Monday. She had all the signs except wanting to use the toilet for relieving herself. She will be 3 in November. So I took away diapers and told her we will be using the toilet. First day was normal. Some accidents, some urinating in the toilet. Well yesterday she wouldn't urinate. I gave her copious fluids and still nothing. Around 10 am I told her she needed to urinate or she would have a boo boo so she did. After lunch she did a bowel movement in the toilet and seemed to be doing well. This morning she again barely urinated. She just kept holding it in. We are bribing to go on the toilet and a separate bribe for relieving herself. She has been drinking and eating her normal amount. Just won't relax enough for anything to come out. Maybe tomorrow will be better. But maybe it won't be. Should I just put her back in diapers or should I give her lots of fluids and let her have some accidents? Soon there's a concern of uti.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:01 pm
Just let her be. Don’t push it because it can backfire. She already went in the toilet. Great job mom and daughter.
Hatzlocha Rabba 😊you got this

oneofakind

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:04 pm
Run the faucet water. For some reason it helps. Read her stories while she sits. It should help relax her.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:06 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Run the faucet water. For some reason it helps. Read her stories while she sits. It should help relax her.

Running water makes her nervous. Only worked the first day. I read books and play short videos (less than 3 minutes long).

jd1212

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:08 pm
Have you tried varying the liquids? For 3 days of training we loaded DD up with grape juice, apple juice, popsicles, pineapple juice, etc. She literally never has had juice (because, why?) and went crazy obsessed. Made her pee the whole day and it helped us progress quickly. Took her only a day or two to learn that now she only gets milk and water going forward.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:15 pm
My daughter did exact same . I got her a potty and I was able to sit next to her and put my arm around her while reading a book or holding my phone so she couldn’t get up if she tried . We drank a cup of juice on the potty and sat and sat… eventually something will have to come out . She held it in for very long but eventually she was gonna explode she would try to get up and cry but I gently held her down and she went on the potty and after a few days was fine

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:18 pm
She’s young some aren’t ready yet before 3.

familyfirst

Post Wed, Aug 09 2023, 9:21 pm
Sounds like she’s not ready

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:10 am
She’s ready if she’s able to hold it in for so long . She has to get over her fear of letting it out

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 9:22 am
Don’t talk about it so much.
Before you leave the house tell her to go.
That’s it.
There is no way a toddler could not urinate for an entire day.
Stop pushing her and talking about it.
She will go eventually.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 10 2023, 1:57 pm
Is there a reason you feel pressured to train her now? (For school?)
I'm very much of the opinion that if it's not going smoothly, let the kid be and revisit, rather than traumatize and make it a power struggle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training