Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Top load vs. Front load washing machine
Previous  1  2

amother
Tealblue

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:17 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
One of my friends says an agitator is not good because it's too hard on the clothing.

I prefer a top loader because if you forget something you an open it in the middle of the cycle. With the front loader you're stuck.

You can pause and add clothing mid cycle in a front loader as well

DallasIma

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:17 pm
Cheiny wrote:
I was told by a salesperson in a well known appliance store that the front loads has issues with mold and having to clean it out on a regular basis to prevent it…

There's a product called Affresh that you have to use regularly that helps to prevent that. Truth is that I was supposed to use it in my old washing machine too, the top loader, but I was always too lazy. This time I won't be! I think the reason the front loaders probably have more danger of mold is that with a top loader you can leave the lid open in between loads, but you really can't do that with a front loader.

ap

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 4:30 pm
My gasket has gotten bit black with time
I clean it here and there
You should leave it open

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 5:15 pm
We leave ours open in between loads but I guess it depends on your space.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 5:17 pm
DallasIma wrote:
I looked at both LG and Samsung (I have an LG dryer that's a few years old) and it seemed like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other, but I decided to go with the Samsung. Model # is WF45T6000AW if you feel like looking it up.

That's the same model I got 3 years ago next month 😁
Ba"h no issues and we do a LOT of laundry.

The quick load is way better than the Whirlpool ones.
I do the delicate cycle on my hand wash items to no ill effect...

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:40 pm
I use vinegar in every load and leave the door open between loads. Also the detergent drawer so no mold there either. Bh 3 years and no issues and love my front loader. Have a top loader now for the summer and can’t compare. My front loader washes waybetter,

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 6:59 pm
Do they sell top loaders in Israel?

amother
Lightgray

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 7:05 pm
I love being able to soak clothes overnight with my top-loader. I stop it before the water drains for the 1st time.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:26 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Do they sell top loaders in Israel?

AFAIK no. Once I used a top loaders in Laundromat years ago.
You won't have the space for a top loader and dryer side by side on the tiny 'mirpeset sherut' in a standard Israeli apartment.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:28 pm
amother Viola wrote:
I use vinegar in every load and leave the door open between loads. Also the detergent drawer so no mold there either. Bh 3 years and no issues and love my front loader. Have a top loader now for the summer and can’t compare. My front loader washes waybetter,
Interesting. I always thought top loader washed better.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:37 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Interesting. I always thought top loader washed better.

Not this one, neither the one I had in the past. It also doesn’t have a soak option. I tried pausing the machine, but the water just drains out after a few minutes. Very annoying machine...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 10:44 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Not this one, neither the one I had in the past. It also doesn’t have a soak option. I tried pausing the machine, but the water just drains out after a few minutes. Very annoying machine...

Soaking is an old-fashioned and such a useful thing.
I have a front loaders and no soak option. My old german machine had it.
I find one needs to do a lot of research on every electrical appliance today.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Aug 08 2023, 11:07 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Soaking is an old-fashioned and such a useful thing.
I have a front loaders and no soak option. My old german machine had it.
I find one needs to do a lot of research on every electrical appliance today.
very very true!
My Electrolux front loader has a soak option. I think my whirlpool front loader had one too, but it’s been a while.

DallasIma

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 10:52 am
Just got the new front-load washing machine installed today, and I am loving it so far. It seems like much less of a problem for me (5 feet tall) to bend than it was to reach down into the top of the old machine. The clothes are coming out smelling great. This machine also tells you how many minutes it's got left, and has a lot more features than the old one did. So, not enough time yet to really evaluate it, but I am very happy with it so far.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 11:02 am
I had a front loader for 12 years and bh never had an issue
Just moved into a rental for a few months and there is a top loader here - I hate it. Not only do I have to climb halfway into the machine to reach the clothes, but then I have to climb out and bend down to put them into the dryer...and then do it again, and again!
I also find the clothes to be wetter and not as clean. Ugh. Hopefully will be short term

Ambassador Girl

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 11:05 am
I like front loaders despite the smell and the gunk that can get caught in it, because it fits better in my small apartment.

I also have noticed that agitators can tear clothing.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 11:23 am
DallasIma wrote:
There's a product called Affresh that you have to use regularly that helps to prevent that. Truth is that I was supposed to use it in my old washing machine too, the top loader, but I was always too lazy. This time I won't be! I think the reason the front loaders probably have more danger of mold is that with a top loader you can leave the lid open in between loads, but you really can't do that with a front loader.

We leave the front loader door open. No problems with our LG BH BAH!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry