Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Poll: how do you pay when you go grocery shopping?

How do you usually pay when you go grocery shopping?
Cash  
 3%  [ 7 ]
Credit card  
 61%  [ 110 ]
Cash plus credit card  
 4%  [ 8 ]
Ebt  
 8%  [ 16 ]
Debit card  
 17%  [ 32 ]
Check  
 1%  [ 2 ]
Use account on file/credit  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Use maaser money  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Gift card  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Other  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 179

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 9:37 pm
See poll

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 9:47 pm
I pay by check bc I don’t use credit cards and I’m never sure if I’ll take out enough cash. Sometimes the grocery will have a sale item I’ll stock up on for future use. And writing checks I actually internalize how much the number is. It’s a pretty similar feeling to handing over 100s in cash. When I used a cc I never felt it and tended to overbuy

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 9:51 pm
I pay credit but I pay the balance every month so for me it is like paying cash or writing a check.

It is just faster and easier to pay by credit card and I also accumulate points that way.

I have a $100 bill folded in my wallet in the event there is some kind of emergency where I need cash - maybe bail? LOL

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 4:03 am
Either cash or credit card. Depends if I remember to take out cash or not.

Raisin

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 5:03 am
debit card or credit card on my phone.

(people still use checks for everyday shopping?)

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 5:08 am
Did some people check “credit card” instead of the debit card option? If not, I am amazed at how many people buy food on credit.

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 6:05 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
Did some people check “credit card” instead of the debit card option? If not, I am amazed at how many people buy food on credit.

I pay my balance in full every month, but use credit rather than debit for the points.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 6:24 am
When we were truly paycheck to paycheck, I used cash, organized my cart from needs to wants, and had the cashier stop scanning when it reached my limit.

Then switched to debit while paying off a cc that accumulated debt while dh and I were both unemployed. BH that was paid off last month.

Now debating what to do from here. I'm at pretty disciplined food shopper but things going to the checking account just hit different than the credit card and I'm no longer enamored by points.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 8:53 am
amother Sunflower wrote:

Many people are perfectly able to pay their full credit card bill every month. There's a whole conversation on this in the other thread ("Do you use credit cards?") but I use my credit card like a debit card and then get all the cash back and other perks.

My supermarket actually has a mobile app which is awesome. It has my credit card on file so when I leave the store I just scan the QR code and it pays automatically.

Amarante

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 9:52 am
amother Sunflower wrote:

For some reason people assume that using credit cards to pay for stuff automatically means that you are buying things one can't afford.

I deliberately do not have a debit card because I don't think they are as safe as credit cards.

If a debit card is hacked, the money is withdrawn and you have to wait for the bank to determine whether to pay it back to you. You might not even realize your card has been hacked if you don't check your checking balance every day.

With a credit card you pay nothing if your card is hacked.

Using credit cards has advantages - accumulate points; have extended warranties on some things and better ability to dispute charges if you buy something that is problematic.

Many adults are able to use their credit cards prudently - charge only what they can afford to pay off in full.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 1:02 pm
CC for the supermarket, cash for the street vendors, cash for the bodeguitas. I'm not sure why I use cash for the bodeguitas, probably because they have a minimum for using cc.

Using a cc is fine unless you lack discipline, are impulsive, are an "acharei eineichem asher atem zonim achareihem" kind of person, buy stuff you wouldn't otherwise just because you see it, don't pay up on time, or think of cc purchases as free.

Trademark

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 1:07 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
I pay my balance in full every month, but use credit rather than debit for the points.

Same here, I pay in full every month.

CCs are meant to paid off in full every month, why the assumption that most people are using it irresponsibly?

shanie5

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 4:05 pm
I use cc for most purchases. I then deduct the amount I spent from my check book. So I use it like a check. When the bill comes in I go over it to make sure I didn't forget any swipe, and it does hurt to pay the bill cuz it's already deducted from my cheshbon.

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 4:17 pm
Amarante wrote:
For some reason people assume that using credit cards to pay for stuff automatically means that you are buying things one can't afford.

I deliberately do not have a debit card because I don't think they are as safe as credit cards.

If a debit card is hacked, the money is withdrawn and you have to wait for the bank to determine whether to pay it back to you. You might not even realize your card has been hacked if you don't check your checking balance every day.

With a credit card you pay nothing if your card is hacked.

Using credit cards has advantages - accumulate points; have extended warranties on some things and better ability to dispute charges if you buy something that is problematic.

Many adults are able to use their credit cards prudently - charge only what they can afford to pay off in full.

Same here.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 11:24 pm
Amex blue
6% back

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 11:28 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:

“On credit” is not the same as a credit card. “On credit” means you have an account in the store, and every so often you make payments or pay it off. We use credit cards to pay for groceries.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Aug 15 2023, 11:30 pm
I have an account . They charge my card every Thursday
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics