Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
OCD- 5 year old

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 4:01 pm
My 5 year old suddenly became the biggest yirai shomayim. Washing his hands 10x while davening, checking if he made a bracha a few times etc. Also saying he is scared to go to sleep, cause he won't wake as he sins too much.
I asked advice, and was told he definitely needs medication.
But I read here on Imamother that it can be PANDAs or something else. Also, 5 years is very very young for such issues.
Anyone with experience and advise?

oneofakind

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 4:09 pm
Of course check for PANDAS first. If it's not, a child therapist who deals with OCD in young children could be very helpful.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 4:11 pm
Getting an appointment with a therapist would take months! So how do I check for PANDAS?

oneofakind

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 4:18 pm
Start with your pediatrician.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 4:22 pm
Get an appointment with a psychiatrist. This sounds like real ocd more than pandas.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 4:23 pm
And I tell him that I read on Imatoher about PANDAS? I think he will send ME to a therapist LOL

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 4:27 pm
Where are you located? For a psychologist recommendation..

Check strep titers and Lyme. If those come back positive you need to treat those instead of the OCD. Treating OCD if caused by those is like a bandaid if it would even work at all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 4:34 pm
Thanks. I'm in Antwerp, Belgium.

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:08 pm
Always check with your PCP first. If it's sudden onset it could come from a UTI or a deficiency of sorts.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:28 pm
UTIs cause psychotic symptoms in the elderly, not children but yes, MD first.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:34 pm
Pandas or pans, without a doubt. Please please please try pandas treatment first before putting your kid on psych meds. There is a time and place for everything, but pandas can be reversed especially if caught early.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:36 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
Pandas or pans, without a doubt. Please please please try pandas treatment first before putting your kid on psych meds. There is a time and place for everything, but pandas can be reversed especially if caught early.

Very irresponsible to say without a doubt. There are many things that cause such symptoms. Pandas is only one possible answer.

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:39 pm
Check for strep. So important.
Then also Lyme
Speaking from experience. This happened to us but my son was 7
He had OCD behaviors -Pandas from lingering strep.
It was a hard few months, with two episodes- but it passed completely

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:39 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
Very irresponsible to say without a doubt. There are many things that cause such symptoms. Pandas is only one possible answer.
There may be other names for it, but mostly they are not root causes.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:44 pm
Your best bet is to read up on pandas on pandasnetwork.org or pandasppn.org (for physicians).
They will have material and studies and tests to do that you can print out and bring to your doctor.
If you were anywhere in the mountains this summer, please also check for lyme disease and other tickborne diseases.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Aug 16 2023, 5:49 pm
Had the same thing with my son. He had brain inflammation probably. Was diagnosed with Lyme. We also checked nutrition. He was low in b12 and d. He had anxiety as well. So we treated it all together. And when it wasn’t enough, we did a dose of Zoloft and it helped together with his healing. We treated with a clean diet, anti inflammatory foods, accupuncture to build up his immune system and meds for short term.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics