Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are so many people really that rich? What am I doing wrong?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 7:52 am
familyfirst wrote:
Reading this thread, I’m really beginning to think I live on a different planet

$10,000 a bag? For real? To the grocery?
$1,000 for a belt?

I’m all for looking good and out together. A brand name bag feels good. And I’m still proud of myself that I got a coach bag on sale for under $200.

As with everything in life, the middle ground is the way to go. Look good, enjoy nice clothing, but within reason and budget and what is the middle ground norm for your community

I wasn’t saying it’s the right thing to do, I was just explaining how it’s possible for that poster to be wearing 100k in clothing/accessories.

The bottom line is materialism is the biggest test our generation faces today.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 8:04 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
I scrolled through the thread.
Okay, sometimes I don't even know how middle class do it.

I know what I do:
Shopping (in Lakewood) kiddichic !outlet, not store, stuff for $5-15, junees: 1 for $15,2 for $20 when they have summer and winter sale., Clover /sage (cheaper than serendipity when last seasons stuff for $10. Shoes-westgate shoe gemach outlet ($5/new pair) or Westgate shoe gemach (some things there also hit $50 and online can be cheaper, let's say I buy girls bearpaw boots online for around $35-40). I manage to fit shoes well and take good measurements, and companies I usually buy fit the same way, once you know their sizing and how they fit, I am confident to buy online. Juvenile had sale in winter for coats (they still have them in their outlet for 50 off) so I bought for next year, was cheaper than on Ali. Two years ago I bought Abercrombie for my kid, she could wear it into 3 rd year, but I wanted new jacket, and bought on sale in juvenile....for me even middle class prices people quoted here sound like too much. But all these companies do go on sale, lil legs have sale when their stuff is 70 off, and then it is affordable.

My kids are average clean, look pretty neat and pretty normal. I grew up surrounded by brand mania, so I am chilled about it, doesn't give me high, or doesn't add me any extra feelings of being rich. My kids aren't chasing names and are happy (so far BH BH BH). I am grateful and happy to buy cheaper stuff and be dressed. Shoes for $5 pair get destroyed same way as shoes for $100. I feel actually very good from being able to spend less and provide for my family in the same way like others with more money. I love my old couch and when I clean it, I think "wow, I'm so lucky, it can last us other 5 years". I think as we get older, we understand that things can be used much longer.....

I am yes afraid that one day they will be worse off because, let's say, we don't have much money, and someone, a good solid boy, will not pick my daughter for shiduch because of that (that's what people tell me happens). I am afraid that I won't be able to help kids with down payment and they won't be able to own their home. But -I have 6-10 years until shiduchim ,I will worry about it later). You can live happy using less, and still be content, and don't look like you are homeless and nebach. In United States bh you can get things in the middle class range, and they are still pretty decent. None who buys a 1k pocketbook does so because they want to break down the expense over 30 years, even if people would claim LV or Hermes can last this. It's not all black and white, and people can be living pretty normal here even without buying luxuries. Our life here is better than any third world country life even with a $30 dollar backpack.

Good for you ! And speaking as the mother of a great, very solid boy who wants a tochendik girl, I can tell you this would be a plus to me and my son not a negative ! More importantly you are raising your kids well with great values. Good luck !

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 8:43 pm
amother Peru wrote:
In which planet are down payments $500,000???

Brooklyn
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics