Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Adenoids

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 8:29 pm
My 1.5 year old wakes up numerous times a night and always seems to be in a restless light sleep. His speech therapist said we should go to ent to check if he needs his adenoids taken out due to sleep apnea from them being to large. Just made an appointment. Did anyone’s kids have this? Did their sleep improve? Please reassure a nervous mom!!

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 8:31 pm
My sons sleep improved slightly from removing tonsils and adenoids

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 8:41 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
My sons sleep improved slightly from removing tonsils and adenoids

Only slightly?! I’m so nervous to put him threw surgery was hoping to hear that it improves sleep drastically

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 9:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 1.5 year old wakes up numerous times a night and always seems to be in a restless light sleep. His speech therapist said we should go to ent to check if he needs his adenoids taken out due to sleep apnea from them being to large. Just made an appointment. Did anyone’s kids have this? Did their sleep improve? Please reassure a nervous mom!!

Does he sleep with mouth open?
I have heard enlarged adenoids can cause poor sleep so hopefully removing them if needed will help!

mother1000

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 9:56 pm
Ds had surgery to remove his adenoids when he was 4 and it did help him wake up less at night. It wasn’t perfect but it definitely helped.
However if you don’t want to jump to surgery you can ask the dr about allergy medication since that may help if the adenoids are inflamed due to allergies.

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Aug 17 2023, 10:20 pm
I got them removed as a teen. The recovery was very quick- within two day back to myself.
I breathed easier, slept better, and felt good about myself. People would always say it sounds like I had a cold and I couldn't breathe through my mouth. Bh now I can. I wish I would have had it removed earlier.
I would go for it.

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 11:26 am
amother OP wrote:

Does he have a blocked nose when he talks?
Is he very nasal?

2 of my kids had their adenoids out.
My now 9 year old had very loud snoring and always sounded blocked.
From the age of 10 months he refused a dummy because he couldnt breathe well through his mouth.

We shlepped him from Ent To Ent who all pushed off getting his adenoids removed .
First they said it was allergies, then hel outgrow it, then fluid in his ears.
Eventually at age 3.5 he got his tonsils and adenoids removed and his sleep improved overnight.
He became a quiet breather!
His speech also began to improve quickly.

My next child started with similar symptoms aswel under a year.
Bh we got approved very quickly and he had his adenoids removed at age 2.

Both times procedure was simple and straightforward.
Recovery time is officially 2 weeks.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 11:57 am
I got mine removed around 6. All I really remember was being disappointed that the yellow Popsicle wasn't lemon flavored and that I had to drink some yucky medicine (the nurse said if I didn't drink it I'd need a shot so I stopped complaining). B"H it was fine and the recovery was fairly quick.

Remember, part of the doctor's job is to help you weigh the pros and cons. He or she can help you understand how risky the surgery is, how much you can expect it to help in you child's case and whether or not there's anything you can or should try first

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 12:35 pm
I had mine removed as a kid and my mother always says what a difference it made.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics