Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you put your baby's full name on birth certificate?
Previous  1  2

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 5:53 pm
I put the name that they’re being called. For example if his name is “Moshe Eliyahu Menashe Yakov” and he is called Yanky I’ll put down Yakov.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 6:13 pm
When I gave birth I was planning on calling my son by his first name so we only put that name on .
The next day we decided we are going to be calling him by only his 2nd name so dh went down to the hospital lobby and told hem to add the 2nd name to the birth certificate. I'm so happy we did because that's the name we use

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 6:27 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
they dont understand jewish life. They'll be recognized by their Hebrew name for jewish stuff, and secular name for medical, legal, college etc.

I put my oldest Childs full name and its a pain.
other children just the one name that is easy to pronounce.

I put the whole name my first 4 kids. I made the mistake of putting one of my kids full names on and they're called by their second name and for a lot of legal things they only put the first name and it's really annoying.

My 5th I just put her first name & that's what she's called.
If I had a kid I called miri & real name was Miriam, I'd prob do miriam.

amother
Trillium

Post Fri, Aug 18 2023, 6:32 pm
My first one we filled out the birth certificate in the hospital and only finalized his middle name right before the bris so he only has his first name. I wish it had his full name though. My second one has a name with ch so he has a different name on his birth certificate. My third we call by her middle name so that's the name we wrote down.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 1:17 pm
Me and dh both have two names, legally in the USA and Israel and Ive never had issues with it......

We did the same for our kids. No secular names or modifications

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 1:59 pm
I have 3 names and my parents put all 3 on my birth certificate and it's a huge pain.
We put just 1 name on each child's birth certificate, even though they have 2 hebrew names. Much easier.

amother
Raspberry

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 9:35 pm
amother Clover wrote:
Yes, of course. Then again, they each have only a first name, middle name and surname, so they all fit on the form. And they're all known by the name on their birth certificate. I see no point to the schizophrenic practice of giving someone an "official" name that will never be used.

Dh grandmother was used her non Jewish name during the holocaust to live as a gentile. The post generational trauma is real and they all have secular names.
It's definitely used though - in professional settings

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 9:44 pm
I put both names and regret it because I call my son by his second name and all legal documents only have his first - not to mention his first name is a CH name

So let’s say his name is Chaim Daniel Schwartz
I call him Daniel.. and all his legal paperwork, insurance stuff etc etc all say Chaim Schwartz

So so annoying

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 9:46 pm
All my kids only have Hebrew names. We didn't give English names.
I grew up with only a Hebrew name going to public school.
I love my name and am thrilled my parents didn't give me an English name.
I'm happy my kids only have Hebrew names. They are beautiful names.
Really, in today's world, people are so creative with names across all society, that there's really no need to give a common English name just to fit in.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 9:48 pm
I wish I didn't. Her first name is a classic Jewish name and the other is a unique name from our mesorah, but is actually common in the non-jewish world. Wish I just put the second one and not the first. Especially because we put the English version which I hate.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 10:00 pm
I chose first name and then decided to call him by his second name so when health visitor came and "kindly" asked me his name I said his second name,
Automatically it went on the system for the dr so it ended up being so messed up in some places he is one name and in some the other...
To avoid this pain in the neck rather wait some time till you decide the name and then register!

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Aug 19 2023, 10:06 pm
Actually heard from a friend that you need to be careful when deciding a name for the passport as you never now what they will end up growing up as... and it is very hard to change.
She wrote eg. Mottel even if she calls him Motty if he will one day be a big rabbi imagine being called rabbi motty?!

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 4:47 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
Actually heard from a friend that you need to be careful when deciding a name for the passport as you never now what they will end up growing up as... and it is very hard to change.
She wrote eg. Mottel even if she calls him Motty if he will one day be a big rabbi imagine being called rabbi motty?!

What's a name for a passport? Do you mean legal name?

And why can't he be called Mottel even IF his legal name is Motty?
Who names Motty legally anyways? Do t of u know anyone?

And what's the issue with being Rabbi Motty?

I don't understand at all

salt

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 5:10 am
Are you talking specifically about the US?
In Israel I think everyone puts full name on birth certificate. Maybe I'm mistaken.

essie14

Post Sun, Aug 20 2023, 5:16 am
salt wrote:
Are you talking specifically about the US?
In Israel I think everyone puts full name on birth certificate. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Nope. We did not. We only put DD's first name on her Israeli birth certificate.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names