Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Im Due succos time iyh, what can I cook in advance now?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 12:37 pm
I want desserts cakes and sides. meats I can do nearer to the time.
Any ideas?
Any ideas of freezer friendly things? Recipes?

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 12:48 pm
B’Shaa Tova. I’m sorry I don’t have recipes near by but I can give you ideas. You can make- meatballs,meatballs and spaghetti, shnitzels, roasts, any chicken dish, anything in a puff pastry shell, any cakes and cookies- just add frosting after you defrost it.. just make sure you freeze the foods very well due to freezer burn.
Hatzlocha with your pregnancy and stay healthy.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 12:52 pm
I'm due erev succos. I froze apple compote, Strawberry applesauce, apple galette, crumbs for fruit crumble, honey cookies, mini carrot muffins, ice cream pies, lots of chicken soup, cream of chicken soup, tomato cabbage soup, a bunch of sourdough loaves.
Would like to still freeze gefilte fish loaves, brisket, French roast, minute steak, stuffed capons.
I figure salmon and sides are super simple to put up, we do a lot of different roasted veggies, roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes, rice pilaf.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 12:52 pm
Desserts are easy. Almost any typical dessert will freeze well.

Sides are harder. Kugels generally freeze well -- think apple kugel (or muffins), apple cranberry kugel, pumpkin muffins, etc. Ratatouille freezes decently, but most vegetables don't. Deli roll freezes well raw.

Honestly, the main things I'd freeze early besides desserts would be roasts and corned beef, things like that. And soups, especially chicken soup.

mfb

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 12:59 pm
Kugels all kinds
Deli roll
Cabbage noodles
Pastrami orzo
Knaidel
Lokshen for soup

Maybe post your typical menus and people will say what can be frozen.

When I was due around then I had everything besides for fish and chicken soup frozen.
My husband makes the soup and my kids eat the veggies only if it’s fresh soup.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 1:00 pm
You can freeze potato kugal as well

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 1:03 pm
I'm due on Sukkos and have already started building my stash for the entire YT season, RH included.

So far I've frozen:

Potato kugel
Noodle kugel
Blondies
Honey cake
Banana bread
Stuffed cabbage

Still plan to make:

Beef stew
Brownies
Meat lasagna
Kreplach
Soup
Chicken (not sure yet if baked before or will just freeze in marinade)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 1:06 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
B’Shaa Tova. I’m sorry I don’t have recipes near by but I can give you ideas. You can make- meatballs,meatballs and spaghetti, shnitzels, roasts, any chicken dish, anything in a puff pastry shell, any cakes and cookies- just add frosting after you defrost it.. just make sure you freeze the foods very well due to freezer burn.
Hatzlocha with your pregnancy and stay healthy.

Umein Thank you!
Thank you for your warm reply and thanx for the excellent ideas. Puffed pastry wrapped things are ok to freeze? how can I prevent them from getting soggy?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 1:07 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
I'm due on Sukkos and have already started building my stash for the entire YT season, RH included.

So far I've frozen:

Potato kugel
Noodle kugel
Blondies
Honey cake
Banana bread
Stuffed cabbage

Still plan to make:

Beef stew
Brownies
Meat lasagna
Kreplach
Soup
Chicken (not sure yet if baked before or will just freeze in marinade)

OMG
you are super organized!
thanx for the ideas.
Besho tova

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 1:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
OMG
you are super organized!
thanx for the ideas.
Besho tova

Thank you! It's called anxiety Wink

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Aug 14 2023, 2:45 pm
Hi. It’s my pleasure. Puff pastry I noticed don’t get soggy if it’s stored in air tight container and before you seal it place a piece of parchment paper on top of the food and then close it. And then when it’s time to eat it, take it out of the freezer the night before and place it in the refrigerator and reheat it.
You got this, and I’m so impressed bh you’re ahead of the game. Im not pregnant and didn’t start thinking Rosh HaShana menus yet.
Hatzlocha Rabba my dear.

chaniel

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 8:32 am
For 27 years I've been cooking all of yontif in advance... You can freeze virtually ANYTHING... Sone recipes are better Frozen raw then baked or cooked fresh, but most things can actually be frozen.. Even gefilte fish, potato kugel, etc.. The trick is how to defrost. B'shaah tova!

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Aug 21 2023, 8:47 am
Tehina, & tomato based dips with oil freezes well. Defrost in fridge & just ight need a good stir.
Cookies or muffins, freeze first separate from eachother on tray, once frozen & hard, then can keep in gallon ziplok.
Can also marinate chicken with sauce & freeze raw, then pull out & bake.
You can freeze potato kugel raw,when ready to bake just put frozen kugel directly into cold, non-preheated oven & (not sure timing, size will be variable anyhow but) just add on half hour or hour or more as needed to baking time. Same with raw cookie dough, shaped into balls in advance before freezing, place into cold oven & add around half to 3/4 baking time.

Good tip to label sides of tins, so freezer is vertical "filing cabinet"
Besheah tova!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics