Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How do they KNOW?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 3:09 pm
My 1.5 yr old is currently standing by my china closet and playing with china. I'm so curious how he knows this isn't age appropriate but that's all he wants to play with. stuff that isnt for his age. all the kiddie toys with bright colors and textures are boring for him. china, glass, beads, phones, bugs, batteries, that's all super interesting and entertaining. how does he know?

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 3:27 pm
Magic. They just do. I have no idea how but they do.

SG18

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 3:40 pm
They like to be like us. We don't use their toys, they want to do what we're doing.

Shopmiami49

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 3:45 pm
Naturally kids are drawn to every day real life objects that they see around. They are curious, want to know how things work, etc. In my 3 year old classroom, if I put out a toy phone and a disconnected real phone, 99% of the class gravitates to the real one. That's what they know and that's what they want to be a part of.

I try to put out real items (safe and age appropriate) for them to explore: toilet paper tunes, containers, mirrors, stones, sticks, etc and the play and exploration that goes on is unbelievable. These items are played with so much more than the toys that look like...well...toys.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 6:06 pm
Also how do they know to come running every time someone takes a treat? Come to think of it how is it that they know a treat is yummy even the first time they see it?
We call my toddler the food radar!

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Aug 22 2023, 6:11 pm
This is how Montessori (a scientist) developed her method (which is an educational pedagogy). It gives kids real materials just sized for their hands. The reason preschool furniture exists (chairs and tables in kid sizes) is because of her.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics