Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Can I hire a teenager instead of an adult?

theotherone1

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 1:04 pm
As many businesses continue to raise their prices, a number of frum enterprising teenagers are starting to offer various services such as photography, sheitels, makeup, and many more. They are able to charge much less since they don't have any significant expenses. I've started hiring some and have been very happy. I'm just wondering if there is anything wrong halachically or hashkafically with denying a married adult the parnassa that they surely need. I can understand why an adult charges more; they need it.
But I have to be careful with my money so I am choosing a Shomer Shabbos person who happens to be young.

meme6

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 1:06 pm
I don’t think it’s an issue at all! And smart of you for doing what you are doing! Don’t even get me into the whole charging out of the roof

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 1:15 pm
I cannot think of a halacha that says you need to hire a married person over a teenager. It is great you are trying to support frum families- even teens.
I think it is great and helpful to them- they can learn business practices and help them be able to support their future families.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 2:07 pm
Nothing wrong with hiring the cheapest labor, but typically you get what you pay for. Teens are notorious for being irresponsible, leaving you so they can go on vacation, sleeping in and missing work, etc.
I work with teenage lifeguards all the time, and some are great, and some have more excuses than my students do.

bracing

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 2:15 pm
Wow! You are so thoughtful, it would not have occurred to me.
It's great to be mindful of who you are giving business to, but I can't see an obligation to pay more?

new oldie

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 2:18 pm
I think if it’s for a new service, you can hire whoever you want. But if you had a contract or whatever, you can’t just stop. For example mowing the lawn. If you never had anyone mow the lawn and you hire the kid next door, fine. But if you have a gardener who comes to mow the lawn you can’t just stop in the middle without reason. Does this make sense?

momX4

Post Fri, Aug 25 2023, 2:28 pm
I think that you are amazing. You are giving teens experience.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains