Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Teaching toddler how to be careful

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 10:59 pm
Is there a way to teach a toddler the concept of being cautious?

I have a 1.5 year old who has been walking since 11 months. Super active and used to falling down. Lately I'm more nervous about the falls that happen. Been too many minor injuries here and there.

Is there a way I can teach her to be more cautious when it comes to physical activity? Sometimes she'll be walking while not looking in the direction she's going toward and there are reasons to look! She'll climb on playground equipment like she's a five year old with the caution of a stunt double.

Is this just something that will pass as she gets older?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:00 pm
Yes best way for her to learn is naturally. She will fall and she will learn. Obviously only if this is still safe. Stay nearby.

giftedmom

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:01 pm
No. Some things she will learn by getting hurt or scared, and others will come with age. At this age you really just have to walk a fine line between letting her explore and keeping her from getting seriously hurt. If the playground has a safe, rubber floor I wouldn’t worry. It’s a hard age and you gotta just keep your eyes on her.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:03 pm
Yes kids understand so much. Say be careful you are at the edge, or look down so you can see your feet etc.. I speak to my kids like they understand and they pick up 90% of what I’m trying to say. That being said they don’t really get the full concept of danger so it doesn’t click fully until later. But you can definitely start teaching it.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:06 pm
Till now I've been really hands off, allowing her to explore a lot. I think that's why she's not usually frazzled when she gets hurt--she just gets up and keeps moving.

Because she's so fearless I now feel more helecopter-ish.

Maybe I just avoid parks for now? If I go to the one near by I literally have to climb on with her and it's exhausting!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:06 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
Yes kids understand so much. Say be careful you are at the edge, or look down so you can see your feet etc.. I speak to my kids like they understand and they pick up 90% of what I’m trying to say. That being said they don’t really get the full concept of danger so it doesn’t click fully until later. But you can definitely start teaching it.

Thank you! I appreciate this. I'm gonna try to communicate these things more.

gigglemom

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:08 pm
she will learn! you're doing great. if you notice she's falling a lot there may be an underlying issue like a fluid in her ears. talk to her doctor!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 26 2023, 11:11 pm
gigglemom wrote:
she will learn! you're doing great. if you notice she's falling a lot there may be an underlying issue like a fluid in her ears. talk to her doctor!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm thinking maybe she went up a shoe size actually... Do you think that could be contributing?

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 3:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm thinking maybe she went up a shoe size actually... Do you think that could be contributing?

Yes, if her shoes are too small or too big they can make her struggle with walking and cause her to fall a lot. Other issues you may wish to check is her eyesight, and fluid in her ears.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics