Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Did you make good friends at work?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 7:52 pm
I’m starting a new job soon IYH and would really like to make good friends there. In your experience is it possible to make good friends at work?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 7:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m starting a new job soon IYH and would really like to make good friends there. In your experience is it possible to make good friends at work?

Yup, some of my closest friends ever, from every job I’ve ever been to

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 7:55 pm
Yes

I’m an introvert and busy with my family but I love coworkers and would enjoy spending time outside work as well.

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 7:58 pm
Absolutely! But take time to build connections slowly.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 8:12 pm
Yes, but some have turned all cold and businesslike thanks to Do'ehu. Mad

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 8:16 pm
I found my so called "friends" and I from work didn't end up having much in common. After I left my job, we didn't keep in touch. We were very friendly when we were coworkers but there wasn't much to talk about other than work related things

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 8:17 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
Yes, but some have turned all cold and businesslike thanks to Do'ehu. Mad

Were they men? Otherwise why?

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 8:22 pm
Yes, but they're former yeshiva guys still kove'a itim, I'm a good frum wife we had boundaries, no need for paranoia.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:07 pm
Not looking for male friends lol! I hope my female coworkers and I hit it off! I’m excited.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:13 pm
I was posting sort of as cautionary tale. I wouldn't have expected things to go this way though I don't think it was bad without them deciding to get all frummy in the end.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:13 pm
Absolutely. There are some I'm still in touch with even though we haven't worked together in years. If you work full-time, you may spend more time with colleagues than your do with your own family.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:24 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
I was posting sort of as cautionary tale. I wouldn't have expected things to go this way though I don't think it was bad without them deciding to get all frummy in the end.

Did you consider them friends before? Or just polite coworkers? Curious what changed.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:28 pm
Yes. I've made friends with co-workers that I kept up with for a couple of years after we worked together and most of them eventually lost touch, but one of my closest friends today is a coworker I've worked with

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 9:33 pm
Yes one of my best friends! I’m a few years younger and we were at different stages (I was fresh out of school) she was a young mom but it’s 5 + years later and we speak every single day. We’ve been there for each other through some really rough times. I feel like your friendship with coworkers is different because you see each other every day so you kind of experience the ups and lows. TYH for this friend and for putting us both into that job because I don’t see how else we’d meet!

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:13 pm
yes! my best friend! we worked together for 2 years didn't know each other at all before!

socialbutterfly

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 10:14 pm
Yes!! I love making friend through work. It's a great opportunity. A lot depends on the type of work and the general work environment.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:27 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Did you consider them friends before? Or just polite coworkers? Curious what changed.

Definitely more than "polite coworkers", before they got all holy I wouldn't have said friends but honestly yes, they were.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 27 2023, 11:31 pm
Yes made a really good friend at my first job and we've been really close since! (10 years)

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:13 am
amother Daffodil wrote:
I found my so called "friends" and I from work didn't end up having much in common. After I left my job, we didn't keep in touch. We were very friendly when we were coworkers but there wasn't much to talk about other than work related things

This has been my experience as well.
We got on extremely well at work and were able to share and chat about things that were not necessarily work related as well as go to each other's simchas. But as soon as we were no longer colleagues, it didn't take long to lose touch.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 12:18 am
Yes, with one or two . The rest I did not keep in touch with but love to catch up when I meet them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics