Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Back to school is killing me!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:25 pm
I don’t understand where I’m supposed to get all the money to buy all the things my kids need-uniforms, shoes, supplies, backpacks, lunch bags the lists go on. On top of that I have to outfit all my kids for Yom tov and outfit a child for daycare, diapers, wipes. I just don’t have the money and it’s so stressful!!! I went to buy shoes at a frum outlet store and they were $95 a pair! Who can afford like this?? I just don’t get it. I feel like I’m the only one struggling like this when I look around and people are buying 10 pairs for all their kids at that price. Hashem help!

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:26 pm
There are plenty of shoe companies now that are $50-$60 or you by cheap on Amazon. It’s killing me too so many expenses at once. But I don’t think it’s necessary to look or judge what others are doing.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:27 pm
I hate to say it but mistake number one is going to Jewish store. They’re not even on my radar. I bought for under $30 on Amazon.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:36 pm
Before Pesach every year everyone kvetches how much money they spend . I always find myself saying that September the expenses are way more or just as bad as Pesach. Between paying all summer for camps, registering all the kids in school, all the school expenses , all the food and clothes for yomim tovim expenses , it’s in the thousands .
I don’t shop in the frum stores for shoes. I order online . Often it involves returns and ordering another size but I’d rather spend $35
School supplies and backpacks are from Walmart or Target.
I try to start my shopping in the beginning of the summer bit by bit so it’s spread out .
Uniforms , I went to the schools uniform gemach first , checked to see what I could find before going to the uniform store . Then I did the uniform shopping for whatever was left on my list .
It’s still a very expensive time of year and the credit card balances are growing . But I try not to follow the trends and styles and focus on what’s really needed . I pick and choose where I am splurging

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:37 pm
amother Aster wrote:
I hate to say it but mistake number one is going to Jewish store. They’re not even on my radar. I bought for under $30 on Amazon.

I wish I could-I don’t live in the states so we don’t have such great options on Amazon. Nothing suitable at all.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wish I could-I don’t live in the states so we don’t have such great options on Amazon. Nothing suitable at all.

Oh. That definitely makes it even more challenging

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Where are you located? Perroquet sells in many countries
See the list here https://www.perroquetshoes.com/locations/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:39 pm
amother Peony wrote:
Where are you located? Perroquet sells in many counties

Canada

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Canada

Where? They have a Montreal location.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 8:42 pm
amother Peony wrote:
Where? They have a Montreal location.

Don’t live in Montreal

Emuna360

Post Mon, Aug 28 2023, 10:29 pm
You could move to the Detroit but guess what? I just heard the $150,000 houses are now $300,000. Chevlei Moshiach. At least we're not starving anymore

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:10 pm
Certain things like backpacks, do not need to purchased yearly. They can last at least a few years. Same for shoes. If they are t outgrown, no need to buy them just because it's nice to have a new pair in September.

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:15 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Certain things like backpacks, do not need to purchased yearly. They can last at least a few years. Same for shoes. If they are t outgrown, no need to buy them just because it's nice to have a new pair in September.

In June, my kids school shoes were shot- holes in them and not wearable.
We bought $10 Target sneakers for the summer.
But dress code rules require loafers or similar style, not sneakers.
BH, I found for $60 on clearance.

But saving year to year is usually not feasible

dinglehopper

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:18 pm
I hear that. Some things obviously cannot wait.

I have found in my.own life to stop looking at what other people can afford. Nothing good comes from it, just a lot of frustration and hard feelings.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:23 pm
Emuna360 wrote:
You could move to the Detroit but guess what? I just heard the $150,000 houses are now $300,000. Chevlei Moshiach. At least we're not starving anymore

300k is still a great price. Where I live outta town, a small house goes for around 800k
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics