Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Breakfast

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:07 am
What do you give your 9m for breakfast? I give him a banana, or a jar or pouch, but what else can I give him? On the doctor’s recommendation I am avoiding dairy and eggs until he is a year old.

scruffy

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:09 am
Oatmeal
Whole wheat toast with peanut butter
Other soft fruit

bsy

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:11 am
Oatmeal made with hot water and then mix in baby food for flavor

bsy

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:11 am
Or try plain nondairy yogurt mixed with baby food

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:13 am
Oatmeal or baby cereal mixed with formula or apple sace.
I wanted to start giving my 6m baby jars but I was strongly advised to stay away from anything sweet.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:14 am
We do soy yogurt or hash brown patties. Oatmeal and cereal are also good options

YounginBP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:14 am
Avocado chunks
Rice cakes
Cucumber and tomato slices - more for exposure than actually eating

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:18 am
All of you saying oatmeal, do you mean baby oatmeal or real oatmeal?
He gags on challah, so I’m not so into the idea of giving him toast.
He does eat other fruit- mango, cherries, strawberries, but in one of those food pacifier things.
For non dairy yogurt, is there anything specific you guys can recommend? I know he likes oat milk and oat ice cream, is there oat yogurt? I want to avoid soy if I can.

gigglemom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 12:30 pm
almond milk yogurt, waffles, pancakes, fruits and veggies. its normal for babies to gag over food. gagging is not choking.... I suggest checking on solid starts site for suggestions. is there a reason your avoiding allergens? early introduction is known to lower sensitivities to food....

gigglemom

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 12:31 pm
https://solidstarts.com/

biggirl6

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:04 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
All of you saying oatmeal, do you mean baby oatmeal or real oatmeal?
He gags on challah, so I’m not so into the idea of giving him toast.
He does eat other fruit- mango, cherries, strawberries, but in one of those food pacifier things.
For non dairy yogurt, is there anything specific you guys can recommend? I know he likes oat milk and oat ice cream, is there oat yogurt? I want to avoid soy if I can.

baby oatmeal from gerber

https://www.mehadrin.com/produ.....erry/

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:45 pm
I break up any bread into small bites, the size of your pinky finger nail. He eats them one at a time and gets to practice pincer grip at the same time. Big chunks of bread makes a ball and gets stuck in the roof of the mouth, so I don't give him that. Make sure the first few times that he doesn't eat too much at once and that it gets stuck.

He likes mashed up veggies from soups and also apple grated on the finest grate.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:48 pm
Why is the doctor recommending that? Does he recommend it to everyone? I don't hold of that and I don't understand automatically doing everything your personal pediatrician says, especially about things like food that are not really their field.

But remember, breakfast food is a made up construct, you can give your baby anything for their first meal of the day.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:51 pm
Look up baby led weaning and solid starts.

He can eat just about anything you eat.

My doctor also said no eggs or dairy until later on but I found out that was very old school. My kids loveeee dairy and eggs.

Steam any vegetable, avocado, toast, rice, crackers, chicken, salmon, fish, veggies from soup, quinoa, smoothies, barley, cholent,....

Challah he probably gagged on a but because it was so soft. If you lightly toast bread it's harder to get stuck.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:10 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

My doctor also said no eggs or dairy until later on but I found out that was very old school. My kids loveeee dairy and eggs.

Steam any vegetable, avocado, toast, rice, crackers, chicken, salmon, fish, veggies from soup, quinoa, smoothies, barley, cholent,....

Challah he probably gagged on a but because it was so soft. If you lightly toast bread it's harder to get stuck.

I did baby lead weaning with my first and tried with my second. It is not for everyone. I cannot take the gag sounds and get just about panic attacks from it. My second had a hard time with it and still will sometimes gag at age two because she does eats too much/doesn't chew well.
I get so triggered when people mention baby led weaning, I know it works for many, but not for everyone.

My baby now eats well, but I do mash up the food, though I started to leave it a bit chunky so he can chew.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:14 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
I did baby lead weaning with my first and tried with my second. It is not for everyone. I cannot take the gag sounds and get just about panic attacks from it. My second had a hard time with it and still will sometimes gag at age two because she does eats too much/doesn't chew well.
I get so triggered when people mention baby led weaning, I know it works for many, but not for everyone.

My baby now eats well, but I do mash up the food, though I started to leave it a bit chunky so he can chew.

All my kids caregivers know CPR, me and my husband and their teachers. I've watched my babies gag on formula, breadtmilk, and purees. Once my second baby turned colors and looked like she wasn't breathing and threw up so much breastmilk. I didn't even know you could gag on that.

I don't like the noises either but I don't think BLW is more dangerous.

If it didn't work for you, I got it. But I definitely think it's something more people should be open to trying. At the end of the day different things work for different people and that's OKAY

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:28 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Why is the doctor recommending that? Does he recommend it to everyone? I don't hold of that and I don't understand automatically doing everything your personal pediatrician says, especially about things like food that are not really their field.

But remember, breakfast food is a made up construct, you can give your baby anything for their first meal of the day.

I see you don’t remember my previous posts about my baby. He was a projectile vomiter, constantly vomiting from when he was a few weeks old. He is on hypoallergenic formula with a thickener. He didn’t start solids until 7m. We started with jars and pouches, and I’m slowly introducing real food. Also, this is the GI, not the pediatrician.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:29 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Maybe I will try toast tomorrow. Thank you :-) With my others I did baby led weaning.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 3:31 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I see you don’t remember my previous posts about my baby. He was a projectile vomiter, constantly vomiting from when he was a few weeks old. He is on hypoallergenic formula with a thickener. He didn’t start solids until 7m. We started with jars and pouches, and I’m slowly introducing real food. Also, this is the GI, not the pediatrician.

I think you could try eggs IMHO I hear waiting on dairy..... But is eggs really an issue?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics