Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Are 40” duffel bags allowed on el al flights?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 1:49 am
My daughter is going to sem and my husband bought her 40” duffel bags.
Her friends are saying its too big.
Would anyone know if el al gives u a hard time w/ 40” long duffel?

SG18

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:42 am
According to their website- "The size of the baggage in the next clause refers to the sum of the length + width + depth.
The maximum size permitted per piece of checked baggage (whether it is a suitcase or any other type of baggage) is 158 cm."

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 5:09 am
Most duffel are oversized. So you have to pay a lot extra. But if you bought an el al student ticket, check with the agent. They allow I think 2 duffel that could be its allowed oversized included.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 6:27 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Most duffel are oversized. So you have to pay a lot extra. But if you bought an el al student ticket, check with the agent. They allow I think 2 duffel that could be its allowed oversized included.

This!

STovah

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:41 am
In my experience you won’t need 40” duffels because you’re limited to 50 pounds anyhow. We used the 36” camp duffels - those were not considered oversized.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:14 pm
STovah wrote:
In my experience you won’t need 40” duffels because you’re limited to 50 pounds anyhow. We used the 36” camp duffels - those were not considered oversized.

I already bought the 40” and I cant return it.
So was wondering if it will be a problem w/ el al.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
I already bought the 40” and I cant return it.
So was wondering if it will be a problem w/ el al.

Contact your travel agent for information.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 2:21 pm
I was also trying to figure this out and nobody ever gives a direct answer the weirdest thing ever.

Why can't anyone answer this question?

Because nobody ever answered this question I just bring the smaller sized duffle or suitcases so I don't have to worry.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 2:12 am
amother DarkYellow wrote:
I was also trying to figure this out and nobody ever gives a direct answer the weirdest thing ever.

Why can't anyone answer this question?

Because nobody ever answered this question I just bring the smaller sized duffle or suitcases so I don't have to worry.

Most of imamothers are not travel agents. Call your travel agent for Heaven's sake!

amother
Bluebell

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:43 am
When I traveled recently with United airlines I left from Newark to Israel and had no problem with 36’ duffel bags. However coming home was a problem in the Israel airport. They didn’t charge me but I had to get off the line and go to another line for oversized luggage. I almost missed my flight because of that.
Could be it’s different if you fly el al. Or maybe each airport is different. 40” duffel bags are definitely oversized but I don’t know if they will charge you. Go to their website and read about luggage requirements.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:11 am
SG18 wrote:
According to their website- "The size of the baggage in the next clause refers to the sum of the length + width + depth.
The maximum size permitted per piece of checked baggage (whether it is a suitcase or any other type of baggage) is 158 cm."

The poster I quoted answered..

You have to comply with the weight & also with the dimensions requirements.

But student tickets have extra allowance. Ask your agent. I don't see anywhere to get the info, its unique tickets.

https://handsoffmysuitcase.com.....licy/

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 8:38 am
Recently sent a kid off, on a group flight student ticket, with the longer Amazing Savings duffels. We were told that while officially they may be a problem, El Al is letting them through. But they are being strict about weight. Just under 50 lbs filled the duffel about 2/3 full. Can they decide to charge extra? Likely they could. Will they? As of now, likely not.

Important note- they were most definitely weighing carry ons. Not the personal item, but the other. And for two pounds over they were asking for a rearrange.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics