Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Im a big big procrastinator!

newdaynewdawn

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:39 pm
How do I get over it?!
Iv got laundry to fold but Im just pushing it off!
I know if I do it now, then its only one load and wont build till all the rest of the laundry joins the pile.
But I cant get to it!

tms1

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:42 pm
Folding laundry is the easiest chore. Do it while watching TV or listening to a podcast!

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:49 pm
Set a timer and find out how long it takes you to fold laundry.

Goody2shoes

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:57 pm
Folding laundry isn't my favorite activity either but for me it's a lot more annoying to have to go through the entire basket of clean laundry every time I need something.

Mommy267

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:59 pm
I also am the BIGGEST procrastinator!!!

I have lists and lists that need to get done. Laundry, dinner, college… The lists goes on. But bH I usually manage to figure it all out!

kermit

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:17 pm
LOL SAME! it has to do with having executive dysfunction, a cousin to ADHD.

It's basically when you have a hard time transitioning your tasks or starting new tasks.

The best thing for me was habit building -- it was the best tool my therapist ever taught me.

You have to internalize that it's not going to be hard to force yourself do the task for long, and that motivates you to break through the wall.

Every night after dinner, the FIRST thing I do is wash dishes. was hard to get myself into that zone during the first couple weeks, but as the habit built I now do it on AUTOPILOT -- this is key to remember. you only have to force yourself for a little bit, and then it's so easy!

LAUNDRY SPECIFIC ADVICE
EVERY motzi shabbos, right after havdalah I throw in the first laundry load, put everything away from shabbos, switch the machine. Husband does the second switch because it was too hard for me to remember.

then, EVERY sunday morning after my son gets on bus, I fold and put away right away.

If I had a larger family, I'd just make myself do one load of laundry every day before dinner, and fold right after washing dishes after dinner, before bedtime.

build the habits.

Living Princess

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:25 pm
You're in a lot of good company, we're all here on Imamother procrastinating!

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 6:26 pm
It helps to make a daily to-do list, both as a reminder and because it's so satisfying to cross items off as you do them. Make the list the night before so you can get a running start in the a.m., or make the list in the a.m. Anything that wasn't crossed off one day goes on the next day's list. And then, if anyone complains about being bored or having nothing to do, you need not fumfer around--whip out your list and assign them an appropriate task.

amf

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 7:06 pm
zaq wrote:
It helps to make a daily to-do list, both as a reminder and because it's so satisfying to cross items off as you do them. Make the list the night before so you can get a running start in the a.m., or make the list in the a.m. Anything that wasn't crossed off one day goes on the next day's list. And then, if anyone complains about being bored or having nothing to do, you need not fumfer around--whip out your list and assign them an appropriate task.

(Thank you for clarifying the correct spelling of 'fumfer'. Inquiring minds are grateful.)

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 31 2023, 12:46 am
amf wrote:
(Thank you for clarifying the correct spelling of 'fumfer'. Inquiring minds are grateful.)
. Depends on location. In British it's "phumpher." They always make spelling more complex than or needs to be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics