Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler- strange smell

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 8:47 am
My toddler has an odd metallic/sour smell from his breath. Does anyone have an idea what this could be besides reflux? It's been consistent for about a week. It could be reflux but he never had reflux as an infant unless I missed it.

Arep

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 3:46 pm
I would check for Strep. My kids sometimes have that & test positive....

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 3:48 pm
Also check ketones/sugar. Can be diabetes. (From experience).
Any other symptoms? Peeing alot? Extra thirsty?

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 3:49 pm
Strep

amother
Currant

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 3:56 pm
I worked in a playgroup for ten years. And once had this experience. Child had bad odor . talking about very young kid whom we diaper etc. we couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. I was a bit reluctant to ask the mother, as I didn’t want to hurt her , but after a week in which we kept on making sure his pampers were always clean and dry, we washed out his blanket from nap time etc…I decided to mention it to her. She responded that she also smells something but doesn’t know what.
The child also kept having runny bloody nose. She decided to take him to pediatrician. You wouldn’t believe it but the kid had a small red pompom stuck up up deep into his nose almost in his sinus. They were lucky to catch it b4 bigger damage was done.
Foreign objects in a body cause bad odors…just saying in case child might have done something similar…ears nose etc are fun holes for kids…

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 4:01 pm
Strep, cavity or even something stuck up his nose

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 5:03 pm
Thank you everyone
Strep and urine labs came back normal. I have to keep investigating.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 5:18 pm
Cavity in tooth can cause metallic taste not sure about odor

amother
Opal

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 5:30 pm
My son had tonsil stones and terrible breath. A waterpik helped somewhat.

amother
Clover

Post Fri, Sep 01 2023, 5:48 pm
amother Currant wrote:
I worked in a playgroup for ten years. And once had this experience. Child had bad odor . talking about very young kid whom we diaper etc. we couldn’t figure out where it was coming from. I was a bit reluctant to ask the mother, as I didn’t want to hurt her , but after a week in which we kept on making sure his pampers were always clean and dry, we washed out his blanket from nap time etc…I decided to mention it to her. She responded that she also smells something but doesn’t know what.
The child also kept having runny bloody nose. She decided to take him to pediatrician. You wouldn’t believe it but the kid had a small red pompom stuck up up deep into his nose almost in his sinus. They were lucky to catch it b4 bigger damage was done.
Foreign objects in a body cause bad odors…just saying in case child might have done something similar…ears nose etc are fun holes for kids…

I had something similar with my daughter she had a runny nose was not going away and the Dr found a piece of foam from a stuffed animal up her nose!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics