Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Relabeling packaged chicken, would you say something?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:07 pm
In the local supermarket, many times I realize that they relabel yesterdays packaged chicken with a new label with todays date as the "packed on" date. They put the sticker directly on top of the old sticker so most people dont realize.

Are they allowed to do that? Would you say something?

NechaMom

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:10 pm
Of course it’s deceitful. If you actually see them do that you should say something!

BH Yom Yom

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:14 pm
Not okay and not safe! I would say something, and if they are not receptive, I would contact the board of health. Stores that do that are putting people at risk.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:27 pm
Saying something will just make them be more careful in how they are trying to defraud you. I don't know that saying anything will help. They're not trustworthy.

Is there anywhere else that you can purchase from?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 8:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
In the local supermarket, many times I realize that they relabel yesterdays packaged chicken with a new label with todays date as the "packed on" date. They put the sticker directly on top of the old sticker so most people dont realize.

Are they allowed to do that? Would you say something?

It's freaky to think that if they're replacing stickers with the date, who knows if they're replacing kashrus stickers as well?
I'm not implying anything! I sincerely hope that they don't.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 05 2023, 9:09 pm
Totally illegal.

NechaMom

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 11:55 am
amother Cappuccino wrote:
It's freaky to think that if they're replacing stickers with the date, who knows if they're replacing kashrus stickers as well?
I'm not implying anything! I sincerely hope that they don't.

So true. I wouldn’t trust them with anything anymore.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 11:58 am
Just wondering, is it possible that the chicken was mislabeled, and they're just fixing the date? Or that they use up old packaging but just put a sticker with the right date on top?

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 12:08 pm
I saw that once. I went to speak to the manager and told him that a member of his team was doing something erroneous, and that he needs to better educate his employees. That it is highly illegal and it’s a good thing it was me and not the DOH who saw.
It was interesting to see his reaction as he was not as upset as he should have been -ie. It was as per his instructions. As such, I have not shopped there since to by perishables.

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:02 pm
If it was packaged at the store, it's not against federal law to re-date it. Depending on your local laws, it may be a violation of those.

It is of course a bad, misleading practice that leads to customers buying meat that will expire very quickly. The big kosher grocery store near me does this as a general practice, and I don't like buying meat there as a result. And they pretend to be a fancy store, with prices to match.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:41 pm
It's a potential health risk and deliberately misleading customers. Sad that kosher places think they can get away with this because they've got captive customers.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 1:58 pm
I stopped buying chicken at one particular store that doesn't include expiration dates on their chicken packages. I switched to another store that does have dates but how am I supposed to know if they're honest? I guess there's no way of knowing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 2:13 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Just wondering, is it possible that the chicken was mislabeled, and they're just fixing the date? Or that they use up old packaging but just put a sticker with the right date on top?

No, I was able to see on the back (with a flashlight), that the first sticker said packed on Sept. 4, and the one on top said Sept 5. It was right in the morning. This is not the first time this happened.

I'm just wondering, legally are they only allowed to sell things that were packaged that day?

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 06 2023, 2:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
No, I was able to see on the back (with a flashlight), that the first sticker said packed on Sept. 4, and the one on top said Sept 5. It was right in the morning. This is not the first time this happened.

I'm just wondering, legally are they only allowed to sell things that were packaged that day?

No, not all stores even say a packaging date, only a sell by date. I won't shop in those stores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics