Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Plainview NY

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 2:21 pm
Anyone familiar with the area?
For various reasons we might need to move there.
Doesn’t seem to he posts on it when I searched

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 2:25 pm
What information are you looking for? I have family there.
The community is modern orthodox with the exception of a group living there due to it being close to stonybrook dental school. There is no kosher supermarket but shoprite has all the kosher food you need and a meat department with kosher cheeses as well. There is a kosher pizza store that is supposed to be opening soon and a kosher bagel store.
1 big young israel with I think two other smaller shuls.
What are you like hashkafically?
Most people send to the local HANC for school.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 2:52 pm
Hmm what are these other shuls? I’ve seen the YI - are people different haskafaly at the other shuls?
There is a group of frum people in enrolled in stony brook?
We are jpf

Just trying to get an idea of the people there - your family is MO?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 2:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hmm what are these other shuls? I’ve seen the YI - are people different haskafaly at the other shuls?
There is a group of frum people in enrolled in stony brook?
We are jpf

Just trying to get an idea of the people there - your family is MO?

If you are going for a few years, like the stonybrook families, you'll be fine at the young israel. The other families living there are quite modern. Very modern. Very few people cover their hair. Many (probably most) wear pants. Basically all send to coed modern sleepaway camps.
The community is very friendly.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 3:28 pm
I grew up in Plainview. There's a small chabad shul we went to. Very open, mostly a kiruv shul. I think most of the people who go there are older.

Inspire

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 4:59 pm
The chabad that serves stonybrook university expanded their campus a few years ago and is very active. https://www.myvillagechabad.com/ You might reach out to them and ask your questions there

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:40 am
Re bumping this
Davka plainview and not Stony brook
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating