Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Yeshiva boys sukka building

amother1223

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:23 pm
Hi how much would you pay to have yeshiva bochurim (15-17 years old) put together a modular panel sukka? Suggested donation is $150 but it sounds like a lot to me. $75 sounds more reasonable for the amount of time it will take plus their age.

Please let me know. TIA!

chili-n-cholent

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:27 pm
amother1223 wrote:
Hi how much would you pay to have yeshiva bochurim (15-17 years old) put together a modular panel sukka? Suggested donation is $150 but it sounds like a lot to me. $75 sounds more reasonable for the amount of time it will take plus their age.

Please let me know. TIA!

Its not so simple, it will take them a few hours if you include the schach and wood support.
I think $75 is very cheap if its 2 or more boys. $150+ is definitely the going rate.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:48 pm
My sons did it last year, similar ages. You have no idea how much physical work it is. $75 is too low.
I'm not sure why you're referring to it as suggested donation. If they're doing it as a chesed then I guess $75 as tzeddaka is ok.
But the boys that do it for money charge much more.
I don't remember what my sons charged I think it was $175. His friend charged $300.

precious

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:58 pm
Wow that's expensive

Blessing1

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 7:58 pm
$200-$300 is the going amount. It's hard work that can take hours.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 8:31 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
$200-$300 is the going amount. It's hard work that can take hours.

Yes I wouldn't know it if I wouldn't see it with my boys. They also brought their own tools. Some people really took advantage and made them shlep extra stuff or whatever. But they got some real life experience how to deal with people in the future. This year they'll be more assertive of what they will or will not do.

keym

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 9:23 pm
How big is the sukka?
How long do YOU think it would take to put together?
With my teens, my experience is that a 8×10 sukka can take 2 boys 3-4 hours to do.

If you mean to pay $75 apiece so $150 for 2 boys, that's a bit low, but ok.
If you mean to pay $75 for at least 2 boys to share, then that's embarrassingly low for the amount of work they're doing

sv9506

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 10:49 pm
To be honest even $150 total for the two boys seems low. Many places charge $350 or more (based on size) and even though these are teenagers, they are expected to do the same job as an adult male so why should they be paid less? It is hard strenuous work, they should be paid accordingly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics