Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
What size container do I order?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 3:48 pm
Want to buy plastic bins to organize/store baby clothes. I got a lot of gifts that won't fit for a while. Want to order online because it doesn't look like I'll have a chance to get to a store anytime soon. But they're all listed in terms of quarts and I have no idea how many quarts is the size I'm looking for.

I do NOT want the really big ones. The baby clothes are small and I'm only planning to keep favorites and give away the rest, and the shelves I have in mind for storage won't fit the really big bins. And I need something bigger than the standard "shoebox" size that I've learned is 6 qt.

People who know this stuff or btdt please advise!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:24 pm
For reference, I searched Walmart online and found 12 qt, 15 qt, and 20 qt. Do I want one of those or should I keep looking bigger? I'm assuming 12 is probably too small?

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Aug 30 2023, 4:49 pm
You probably want 15 or 20 qt, unless you're very limited with storage space or really don't have too many stuff that you're putting away.

Also, while container sizes are generally listed in quarts, the product description should also have the dimensions listed.

A 15 qt is usually referred to as a "sweater box" - see the container stores "our sweater box" for a visual on how big it is/how much it holds.
A 20 qt is usually a deeper version of a sweater box, but similar shape.
25 qt is really getting to the larger size when it comes to clothing and is probably only needed if you're storing bulky things like coats, blankets, etc.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 1:58 pm
Update:
I got 15 qt boxes because the 20 qt ones wouldn't ship to me even though the product page said it would Mad
They're OK for some things but really not big enough for a lot of what I wanted. I may still try to get the 20qt and find a different use for the 15. I bought 4 to start with. I think 20qt would be good enough for most of what I need to store.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics