Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Smelly gas - where to start?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:02 am
Google says it's normal for babies to pass smelly gas but I'm telling you this is something else. One month old. You can smell it across the house.

Baby is both nursing and formula fed (was not gaining enough from nursing, possibly poor sucking skills which might also contribute to gas - but why so stinky?!)

Assuming it's something he's eating I just don't know where to start to figure it out. Formulas there are just so many types! As for me, elimination diets seem so daunting. I thought maybe milk but I barely had any over Yom tov (one cup of coffee each morning so maybe 1/4 - 1/3 cup of milk?) and he's been as smelly as ever. Before that, I tried switching from regular enfamil to gentlest (I had samples of both, that's the only way I chose between all the possibilities) and I didn't notice any change.

Now what?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:07 am
I've had this too. Never figured it out. After a few babies you can tell what's normal and what's not. Odd smelling poop and gas. But there's nothing "wrong" with it so doctor says it's all fine.

If I could afford it I'd go to an alternative medicine doctor and try to figure it out.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:18 am
My baby had a stinky diaper in the Dr office and they were like woah a nursing babays diaper shouldnt smell like that. Also my baby wasn't gaining. They checked the poopy diaper for blood (with a test...it wasn't visible to the eye) and sure enough there was and then she was put on special milk allergy formula and she got better and grew . Is your baby fussy at all too? Either way you can ask your Dr to rule it out by doing a test on the on the diaper.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:30 am
It might be the type of formula.
I've found the similac ready bottles they give in the hospital do that.
Makes them reek.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 2:31 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
My baby had a stinky diaper in the Dr office and they were like woah a nursing babays diaper shouldnt smell like that. Also my baby wasn't gaining. They checked the poopy diaper for blood (with a test...it wasn't visible to the eye) and sure enough there was and then she was put on special milk allergy formula and she got better and grew . Is your baby fussy at all too? Either way you can ask your Dr to rule it out by doing a test on the on the diaper.

His poop smells normal. It's only the gas that stinks. Everyone's like ew the baby made, and I'm like if you smell it then he probably didn't! Let me know if it still smells in a minute.
He's not the least fussy baby but he's not colicky or miserable either. His fussiness maybe got a little better on the gentlease formula but the gas didn't change except maybe to come out more easily. It's very frequent too.

unexpected

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:02 am
Smelly gas like someone died is usually milk allergy. If you go off for 2 days you should already see a difference. Try going back on after 6 months

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:23 am
Can you have an allergy with no other symptoms besides gas? He's really fine otherwise. I don't think I could live without milk for more than a couple of days Sad without cereal and milk or yogurt smoothies there's no way I would get adequate nutrition, real food is a nice idea but too high maintenance for me to manage all the time with also a new baby on my hands.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics