Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Once weekly growth hormone injections pls share experience

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 5:40 am
My 5 Yr old was diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency. He is tiny and underweight -94 cm. Some 2 year olds are his height. The doctor offered me a few options of hormone shots. One of them is only taken once a week. It's called ngelna produced by Pfizer. Sounds amazing. But she said it hasn't been around in Europe for so long so she doesn't know as much about all the side effects etc. But should have the same outcome as daily injections.
When I read the list of side effects I got a bit nervous... But I don't know whether the side effects for daily injections are the same.
I would love to hear if anyone has experience with these shots! He will have to be on it for some many years and I feel bad for him to have to inject himself every day.
Please share any side effects and how it has helped with growth.

Thanks

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:27 am
I gave myself daily growth hormone shots as a kid. It’s not such a big deal. I don’t know anything about these weekly shots but I think that the difference between once a week vs daily need not necessarily be a factor. It became part of routine like brushing teeth every night I gave myself a shot. Your child will be affected by your attitude. So try to give off to him that it’s not the biggest deal. BH I am now an adult and glad my parents took care of me in the way they needed to.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:28 am
amother NeonGreen wrote:
I gave myself daily growth hormone shots as a kid. It’s not such a big deal. I don’t know anything about these weekly shots but I think that the difference between once a week vs daily need not necessarily be a factor. It became part of routine like brushing teeth every night I gave myself a shot. Your child will be affected by your attitude. So try to give off to him that it’s not the biggest deal. BH I am now an adult and glad my parents took care of me in the way they needed to.

Thanks for your reply. Did you experience any side effects? Of course I would give him the daily injections to help him grow if there were no other options. He is actually very brave and wouldn't make a big fuss about it... But if I have an option of once a week then I definitely prefer that for both of our sakes.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 8:56 am
My daughter is a very difficult child so I opted for the once a week. I’m using Skytrofa. We only did three so far so I can’t tell you about the growth. But each time I had a huge prize prepared & only told her about it only a few minutes before. The first time was awful but even she was surprised after that it didn’t hurt. After that it’s been easier… didn’t see side effects so far B”H.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:39 am
One of my children takes growth hormone for yesrs. Daily shot. It helped tremendously in the growth curve. Like a poster said, it becomes routine the shot.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:46 am
My almost 10 year old ds takes skytrofa. Bh no side effects. For a bit after he started his appetite shot up, coinciding with him growing two shoe sizes and one clothing size. His growth and appetite have since stabilized but bh doctor is happy with the progress thus far.
There was a different doctor ready to start him on shots when he was two, but I didn’t want to prick him for so many years. He was small but not as small as your son. About a year behind in growth, usually wearing a size four at five years old etc.
he complains a bit about the pain but doesn’t put up too much of a fuss.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:54 am
That’s a huge bonus. I’ve been doing daily shots for my daughter for 1.5 years. My dr, at that time, said daily shots work the best over doing the dosage in 6 days. I see this is a slow release I wonder if it works as well in the long run. Bh my daughter is 5ft and not done growing. Her initial estimate was 4”11.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics