Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Please help!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:03 pm
My preschoolers started playing this new game of pretending a closet is theyre car and theyre driving somewhere but they first need to pack up to go wherever they are going so they find bags and fill them up with toys and random things, they take their lunch into the closet and then theres crumbs on the floor, they take books, and chairs.... its really getting out of hand... things from every room in the house ends up in that closet! and then im left with a big mess that takes times to clean and theyre too overwhelmed to clean it up themselves. sometimes I ignore this game bec I need the space and quiet and as long as theyre entertained without me needing to get involved. and other times I try to stop it but to no avail. maybe they wont play this right then but they will a few hours later or the next day.

Is this a normal phase??

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
My preschoolers started playing this new game of pretending a closet is theyre car and theyre driving somewhere but they first need to pack up to go wherever they are going so they find bags and fill them up with toys and random things, they take their lunch into the closet and then theres crumbs on the floor, they take books, and chairs.... its really getting out of hand... things from every room in the house ends up in that closet! and then im left with a big mess that takes times to clean and theyre too overwhelmed to clean it up themselves. sometimes I ignore this game bec I need the space and quiet and as long as theyre entertained without me needing to get involved. and other times I try to stop it but to no avail. maybe they wont play this right then but they will a few hours later or the next day.

Is this a normal phase??

My girls are 12 and 10 now but I just reminded them today how they used to do this. Totally totally normal . By 6 year old has been doing it recently too with his friends

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:06 pm
Of course it's normal, and so adorable!
I emptied a kitchen cabinet and designated that for the kids to play in.

mig100

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:07 pm
Sounds soooo familiar!! Are u me!?!?!

I have some closets to repack from rosh Hashanah still.. at least they are super cute!

amother
Anemone

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:07 pm
Oh my goodness it's my kids favorite game LOL

One of my kids like to be a Morah, she unloads all our toys into backpacks, sets them up at the couch and runs a classroom so every morning I'm frantically dumping my kids backpacks and sorting toys from homework sheets.
I love watching their imaginations run wild though. So worth it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:10 pm
Phew thanks!! I wont doubt they are adorable but its soo annoying!!!!

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:13 pm
Yes. The shopping bag phase.

scintilla

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:16 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:

Yep!! If you want to read more about it, look up the containment schema. Also known as (or maybe it's just very similar) enveloping and/or enclosing. Very normal:)

mig100

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Phew thanks!! I wont doubt they are adorable but its soo annoying!!!!

yes the mess is annoying . staring at a huge mess. Should I even bother or will it just be a mess again tomorrow?

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:25 pm
I drew the line at food, but otherwise this is life with kids BH.

lucky14

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:35 pm
Yes we have that going on here all the time. Behind the sofa and in a closet in their bedroom (they take out all the luggage and storage boxes first in order to be able to play in there…).
Such a mess but so adorable and yes it’s great they keep themselves busy and entertained.
I wouldn’t allow food though.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 6:36 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:

Haha. My 16 month old started unpacking that cabinet, and putting a bag on her arm and telling me bye bye. Its hysterical. I chose her a small, soft fabric one so she doesn't trip or choke cv.

OP, maybe give them two or three reusable bags and say that is all you let them use.
Crumpled plastic bags over the house Whew
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers