Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Shema

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:49 pm
At what age do you start saying shema with you kids?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:50 pm
amother OP wrote:

As soon as they’re born

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 10:55 pm
My kids are late developers. 18 months or so.

silverlining3

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:02 pm
Honest answer here.

I recently started with my recently turned 5 year old child. I know I should've started earlier, had this guilty feeling. Don't remember at what age I started with my older ones.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:04 pm
dont remember with my older ones but I definitely said it with them and they continue to do so. my 6 yr old I never started and he doesnt say even if I remind him to.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:04 pm
I start when they start sleeping in their own beds. 18 months on avg.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:05 pm
amother OP wrote:

From when they're born.

lucky14

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:05 pm
silverlining3 wrote:
Honest answer here.

I recently started with my recently turned 5 year old child. I know I should've started earlier, had this guilty feeling. Don't remember at what age I started with my older ones.

Yeah I think with my younger kids I’ve started later and later 😞

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 11:10 pm
Whenever I start 'doing bedtime' instead of just plopping them in the crib when I deem it time and beating a hasty retreat. Probably young toddler.

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 12:40 am
Birth

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 1:03 am
A few months old because I was desperate to get them to sleep and I figured an extra prayer won’t hurt

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 6:21 am
I sing lullabies to my babies from birth, it feels natural to sing shema at bedtime

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:06 am
I started with my first when he was born. Now it's part of bedtime routine, so the rest heard it from before birth. We do dinner, bathtime, extra snack, and shema and hamalach hagoel in bed. It signalises that the day is over.

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:10 am
From the day they are born. As soon as a child is born, parents should teach Torah Tzivah and Shema. This is our Yiddishkeit.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:10 am
I started when they were born, but around age ~3 every single one of my kids asked me to stop singing shema to them.

They’ll get so adamant about it that I don’t want to just “do it anyway” because they’d get so riled up 🤷🏻‍♀️

They haven’t been able to explain why. Maybe it’s a protest against bedtime? Maybe I use a different tune than their morah and they prefer hers? They won’t give me a reason other than “don’t sing, Ima!!”

behappy2

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:16 am
bigsis144 wrote:
I started when they were born, but around age ~3 every single one of my kids asked me to stop singing shema to them.

They’ll get so adamant about it that I don’t want to just “do it anyway” because they’d get so riled up 🤷🏻‍♀️

They haven’t been able to explain why. Maybe it’s a protest against bedtime? Maybe I use a different tune than their morah and they prefer hers? They won’t give me a reason other than “don’t sing, Ima!!”

My daughter too!

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 8:57 am
bigsis144 wrote:

At 3 there's no reason for you to sing to the if they don't want
They can sing it themselves:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics