Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
6 month old, tongue off center

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 5:21 pm
Just this week when my six month only sticks out her tongue, it’s out to the same side consistently. She had a cold last week which cleared up, and now a slight eye infection. I’m trying to figure out if this is a new playful behavior or if it’s something that I should worry about…

She is happy and eating well, and we have a doctor we’ll visit scheduled for next week either way. Do you think this is a cause for concern? Do I need to bring her in to see a doctor sooner?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 5:23 pm
Oh, and she just got her first tooth. It’s on the same side that she is sticking out her tongue to (apologies for poor grammar, it sounded to stiff when I worded it correctly 😂). When he tongue is in her mouth it looks centered, only goes to the side when she sticks it out.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 10:53 pm
Is it a new thing or has it always been this way?

My first thought is a tongue tie on 1 side.

My second thought is that a lopsided tongue is a symptom of stroke but it would come along with other one sided weakness and doesn’t make sense for a baby.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 10:56 pm
Did she get any vaccines recently? Have you read the book crooked by forrest maready?

mommygirlx2

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 10:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Just this week when my six month only sticks out her tongue, it’s out to the same side consistently. She had a cold last week which cleared up, and now a slight eye infection. I’m trying to figure out if this is a new playful behavior or if it’s something that I should worry about…

She is happy and eating well, and we have a doctor we’ll visit scheduled for next week either way. Do you think this is a cause for concern? Do I need to bring her in to see a doctor sooner?

If it was me I would go to an ENT to check for a tongue tie. And see if it could potentially cause. A problem and needs to be clipped

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 10:59 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
Is it a new thing or has it always been this way?

My first thought is a tongue tie on 1 side.

My second thought is that a lopsided tongue is a symptom of stroke but it would come along with other one sided weakness and doesn’t make sense for a baby.

A tongue tie comes from a band that runs right down the middle and would be there since birth.

Unfortunately it is possible for a baby to have a stroke.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 11:00 pm
amother OP wrote:

You should mention it to the doctor next week. Although I will say, before you mentioned the new tooth, I was going to post asking if she might be getting a tooth on that side.

You could try to dab something sweet on her lip on the side she’s sticking out towards, then after she licks it off dab a bit on her lip on the opposite side and see if she goes after it with her tongue.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 11:13 pm
If she just got a new tooth, she might just be feeling it with her tongue. I wouldn't panic. Unless you see something else concerning about her, I'd wait.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 11:25 pm
This is a new behavior, so not a one sided tongue tie. (And I had her evaluated for tongue tie when she was a newborn because of fussiness.)

No recent vaccines.

Yes, I thought of stroke which got me nervous. But her smile is even and she’s still eating/sucking normally so I’m not letting my anxieties take over!

I initially thought it was a cute behavior because she is learning the world and interacting more, but it’s sticking around for longer than I would expect in that case.

She also did just get over a cough/cold so I’m wondering if it could be connected.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 11:27 pm
Also in terms of one sided weakness/stroke (r”l), her gross and fine motor movements are unchanged. She’s an active baby and I don’t see any evidence of weakness.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 13 2023, 11:34 pm
Ok now I’m starting to get myself nervous. Could it be an allergic reaction of sorts? She has been trying some new foods recently…

Could this be a swollen tongue situation? And coupled with her eye infection = puffy eyes. Could it be a systemic reaction? How long does such a thing last without progressing or diminishing? Bh no experience with food allergies so I have no idea if this makes any sense or is totally off base!

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:43 pm
Hi OP, any update?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 6:56 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
Hi OP, any update?

Thanks for checking in! She stopped after about a week, I’m assuming it was related to her first tooth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics