Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to wash boys tzitzis

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 8:52 am
How do you wash your sons’ Tzitzis so they don’t get pasul?
They sweat a lot from running around and need to be washed often

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:16 am
I put the whole tzitzis in a mesh bag and wash with regular load. I find ironing the tzitzies helps that it shouldn't tangle and rip.
(Besides, I love ironing dhs large tzitzis then my sons tiny ones right after. Such nachas Smile )

s1

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:20 am
I use a klippit or 2 and wrap the strings round when open and then clip closed. Then put in a net bag and wash on a cold gentle cycle. Re-knot while they are damp and put clear nailvarnish over the knots helps to keep them.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:22 am
I gather all 4 strings and wrap them in aluminum foil, then put the whole garment in a mesh bag and wash with my regular laundry. I remove the foil when it comes out of the washing machine and hang the tzitzis to dry.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:25 am
s1 wrote:
I use a klippit or 2 and wrap the strings round when open and then clip closed. Then put in a net bag and wash on a cold gentle cycle. Re-knot while they are damp and put clear nailvarnish over the knots helps to keep them.

Can you link a klippit?

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:26 am
I want to try the mesh bag method. Tighten the knots before and after washing. wrap the strings around a clothes pin, them tie them in a sock. They need to be taken out and straightened when wet otherwise they will dry curly.
The thing with this method is that the strings get dark from the socks. (I guess I could use white socks)

They also sell a contraption for washing tzitzis. Similar idea. Forget what it's called.

Another idea is tzitzis glue or nail polish on the bottom knot, and ends, though from what I remember that can passul them (I was told not to put nail polish on the knot, dunno if the glue is different)

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:28 am
s1 wrote:

Smart!

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 9:29 am
I put the tzitzit strings into a small food plastic bag and tie the top of it where they meet the garment shut with a piece of string.

Ma3

Post Sun, Sep 24 2023, 3:47 pm
I use this:

https://www.eichlers.com/magen......html

Twirl the tsitsis strings around it and close. Throw in wash with my other whites and comes out beautiful.

Can be found at most judaica stores.

s1

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 6:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you link a klippit?

Maybe it's a British thing? Used for closing cereal bags or snack bags...

12 Pcs Sealing Bag Clips, Closure Clips, Plastic Bag Clips, Food Storage Clips https://amzn.eu/d/hEzGqWG

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 6:32 pm
My older boys put super glue on the tips of the strings and maybe in the knots also to prevent fraying. I wash them in net bags.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 10:03 pm
I tie a ponytail around all of the strings kind of in a bun style and bleach them in white load. When ready I straighten and tighten knots come out beautiful

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 10:22 pm
Ok, so please very clearly explain how you keep strings from getting curly. When you do these things they dont curl?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Sep 25 2023, 10:24 pm
They do but I stretch them right after the wash while still wet to straighten out again
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry