Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Colosseum & Arch of Titus - ok to visit?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:49 pm
Due to the nature of these 2 historical places are they ok for Frum Jews to visit?

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Sep 19 2023, 11:56 pm
If you look at them as concentration camps where Jews died al kiddush hashem.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:21 am
There was a beautiful video going around Tisha Bav time of a yeshiva of boys on a tour at the Arch of Titus , arm in arm singing “Al Naharos Bavel” and songs of our yearning for yerushalayim. It was very touching to see that happening right under the Arch of Titus.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 10:24 am
Spit on it
Seriously

Go worth a guide who reviews it from the Jewish perspective

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:41 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Spit on it
Seriously

Go worth a guide who reviews it from the Jewish perspective

Yes we are but my husband wasn’t so comfortable with going into it. At the end the tickets are all sold out so we’ll be skipping and only going outside.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 11:43 am
Highstrung wrote:
There was a beautiful video going around Tisha Bav time of a yeshiva of boys on a tour at the Arch of Titus , arm in arm singing “Al Naharos Bavel” and songs of our yearning for yerushalayim. It was very touching to see that happening right under the Arch of Titus.

We sang Am Yisroel Chai.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:30 pm
Famous story with the Ponovezer Rav (Rav Kahaneman zt”l) who was in Rome and went to the arch to tell titus y’s the following:

"Titus, Titus," he said. "You thought you would destroy the Beis Hamikdosh and defeat Am Yisroel! That you would take the holy implements to Rome and leave us, bnei Yisroel, with nothing. What remains of you, Titus? Not a single remnant. We were victorious. We can be found everywhere, sitting and learning Torah in every corner. Titus, Titus -- we won!"

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Sep 20 2023, 12:31 pm
Tisha bav

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:17 pm
I did not know the story of the Ponovezher Rav, although my family comes from that region! When I went to Rome, I also visited the Arch of Titus and said what he said. "You tried to destroy us and we're here and you're gone." It felt very satisfying. I visited both sites without any concerns. The Arch of Titus' existence refutes anyone denying that the Jews lived in EY and that the Beit Hamikdash was destroyed by the Romans. If you're in the area of Rome, go visit Ostia (about 45 minutes away) and see the ruins of the oldest synagogue in Europe. Finally, please do not spit on the Arch of Titus or the Colosseum. It would be a major chillul and Roman police have been cracking down on tourist misbehavior with big fines. Have a wonderful trip.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2023, 7:39 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
Famous story with the Ponovezer Rav (Rav Kahaneman zt”l) who was in Rome and went to the arch to tell titus y’s the following:

"Titus, Titus," he said. "You thought you would destroy the Beis Hamikdosh and defeat Am Yisroel! That you would take the holy implements to Rome and leave us, bnei Yisroel, with nothing. What remains of you, Titus? Not a single remnant. We were victorious. We can be found everywhere, sitting and learning Torah in every corner. Titus, Titus -- we won!"

Came to this thread to write this exact story
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics