Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Curious wwyd milk sub and travel

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:31 pm
We are going to Israel for Sukkos iyh. My 16 mo is lactose intolerant and has been drinking a milk substitute (Ripple pea milk) instead of cows milk. It's 2 bottles a day, morning and bedtime. I know that I'm allowed to bring liquids for her, but it's a refrigerator item and it will be annoying to shlep with us. She's a decent but not predictable eater (as toddlers tend to be), plenty of chub. I have a week and a half in which I could technically wean her off of the bottles. Do you think it's a good idea, or should I just deal with the hassle of bringing the milk?

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:46 pm
Can you get the same or similar in Israel? When we went away we just bought milk.
ETA: it was oat or soya milk we bought.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:47 pm
amother Oak wrote:
Can you get the same or similar in Israel? When we went away we just bought milk.

I doubt it, but maybe an Israeli poster will know. Do they sell pea milk in Israel?

scintilla

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:49 pm
I wouldn't use that week to wean her off, it's a big change as it is for such a little person and you don't want to make it harder for her. I'd bring a few days supply and see once you get there if you can get a similar tasting substitute.

They don't make long life versions?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I doubt it, but maybe an Israeli poster will know. Do they sell pea milk in Israel?

Does it have to specifically be ripple? Or would any milk substitute do?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:53 pm
scintilla wrote:
I wouldn't use that week to wean her off, it's a big change as it is for such a little person and you don't want to make it harder for her. I'd bring a few days supply and see once you get there if you can get a similar tasting substitute.

They don't make long life versions?

Thanks. Pretty sure that the shelf stable one doesn't have a hechsher.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:54 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Does it have to specifically be ripple? Or would any milk substitute do?

That's what she's used to. I've tried soy milk and she doesn't like it, it could be that she would like a different one but haven't tried all options.

Maybe I could try oat milk or something this week and see how it goes over.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 12:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's what she's used to. I've tried soy milk and she doesn't like it, it could be that she would like a different one but haven't tried all options.

Maybe I could try oat milk or something this week and see how it goes over.

Definitely try oat, that’s pretty easy to get.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:00 pm
Can you freeze it and check some in with your bags and put some in a good water bottle, like contigo, and take that on the plane? My contiguous keeps ice cubes in water for over a day in the summer.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Pretty sure that the shelf stable one doesn't have a hechsher.

If that's the only thing she'll drink, can you ask whether the shelf stable one is okay? I live in Europe and almost none of our products have hechsherim and a lot of these types of products are okay. I don't know this particular milk, just from experience with other products.
Although a disclaimer, the shelf stable don't always taste the same. We learnt this the hard way. And I now would taste test before going away and finding out they don't drink it.

scintilla

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:03 pm
Yeah I'd definitely try oat milk, maybe get a few long life brands and see if any work. They are also great in baking if you need to use up leftovers:)

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:04 pm
I'd deal with the hassle and shlep it. Let her have at least one thing to rely on in a place with lots of new sights, sounds, smells, and tastes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 18 2023, 1:06 pm
amother Oak wrote:
If that's the only thing she'll drink, can you ask whether the shelf stable one is okay? I live in Europe and almost none of our products have hechsherim and a lot of these types of products are okay. I don't know this particular milk, just from experience with other products.
Although a disclaimer, the shelf stable don't always taste the same. We learnt this the hard way. And I now would taste test before going away and finding out they don't drink it.

Thanks, I can ask.

amother
OP

scintilla wrote:
Yeah I'd definitely try oat milk, maybe get a few long life brands and see if any work. They are also great in baking if you need to use up leftovers:)

Thanks, I'll try!

amother
OP

amother Narcissus wrote:
I'd deal with the hassle and shlep it. Let her have at least one thing to rely on in a place with lots of new sights, sounds, smells, and tastes.

I hear that. I'm really torn about this.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 27 2023, 10:39 pm
Update she accepted oat milk bh so we don't have to shlep the Ripple!! Thank you all for the help!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics