Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Hashgachos - How important is it which one you use?

cb0

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:48 pm
How strict are you in deciding which hashgochas you do use and which you will not use?

Do you reject some heimishe hashgochas? Do you accept the well recognized national hashgochas (OU, OK, Star-K, Kof-K)? What about the lesser known national hashgochas? What about Triangle-K?

Do you differentiate which you'll accept whether it the food is pareve, milichigs or fleishigs? What other factors do you use to decide whether you accept a certain hashgacha only under certain circumstances or specific food types?

Do you accept the CRC Recommended hashgochas list at face value (as all acceptable)?

What do you do when you travel, either out of town or out of the country?

Do you ever bend your rules and eat something that has a hashgacha that you normally don't use? Under what circumstances?

Please explain the reasoning for your decisions.

hodeez

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 9:51 pm
I just take my husband's lead. If it's good for him it's good for me. If it's an unknown hashgacha he has who to ask

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:00 pm
If it is approved by the CRC I eat it. If not then I do not.

ccwife

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:23 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
If it is approved by the CRC I eat it. If not then I do not.

Same. Rabbi Fuerst is usually our Posek in general also.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:28 pm
My husband's kashrus training is through the Star K, but we're in the Midwest and so we usually follow produce washing/checking info from CRC due to regional differences.
We follow the CRC list and any other hashgachos we have information on.
I don't know anyone frum who uses the triangle K for kashrus sensitive foods.

We don't travel. We're consistent in what we hold wherever we are.

cb0

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:30 pm
There's two CRC hashgachos. The original hashgacha in New York, the Central Rabbinical Congress (also known as Hisachdus HaRabbonim) and the one is Chicago, the Chicago Rabbinical Council (which started their hashgacha division later).

Flip Flops

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:31 pm
We are familiar with the local ones and who runs them so that will determine which ones we feel comfortable relying on.
For unfamiliar hashgachos, if it is recommended by the CRC we will eat it.

dena613

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:32 pm
They mean CRC Chicago

Cheiny

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:39 pm
cb0 wrote:
How strict are you in deciding which hashgochas you do use and which you will not use?

Do you reject some heimishe hashgochas? Do you accept the well recognized national hashgochas (OU, OK, Star-K, Kof-K)? What about the lesser known national hashgochas? What about Triangle-K?

Do you differentiate which you'll accept whether it the food is pareve, milichigs or fleishigs? What other factors do you use to decide whether you accept a certain hashgacha only under certain circumstances or specific food types?

Do you accept the CRC Recommended hashgochas list at face value (as all acceptable)?

What do you do when you travel, either out of town or out of the country?

Do you ever bend your rules and eat something that has a hashgacha that you normally don't use? Under what circumstances?

Please explain the reasoning for your decisions.

We have a close family friend who is high up in the hashgacha world so he gave us the rundown on what really goes on with most of the major ones. It can be scary.

Why would we eat an unacceptable hashgacha that we don’t normally use? Either you hold it’s reliable or you don’t.

There are numerous ones that are widely accepted, some that are controversial, and some that most who are careful won’t use at all.

SG18

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 2:42 am
Yes, we are stricter with hashgacha for meat than for dairy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions