Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My toddler is so picky with food!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 5:39 pm
My toddler 2.7 months is so so picky with what foods hell agree to eat!! He used to drink milk bottles frequently through out the day up until this week. He used to demand them and throw tantrums when I would try to give him something other to eat. He used to basically pretty much fill up on the milk and not need major food for meals. But now that he dropped his bottles cold turkey I see hes so hungry. Heres what my toddler will eat
Dairy - Yogurt, pizza and ice cream 🧐
Produce - Bananas, cucumbers, apples, and avocado
Proteins - fish sticks and plain cooked chicken without sauce, schnitzel
Mashed potatoes
Chicken soup and any blended soup
I need more variety. I find my kid eats fish sticks and Bananas too often.
If you have picky toddlers - what other foods can I try?

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 5:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
My toddler 2.7 months is so so picky with what foods hell agree to eat!! He used to drink milk bottles frequently through out the day up until this week. He used to demand them and throw tantrums when I would try to give him something other to eat. He used to basically pretty much fill up on the milk and not need major food for meals. But now that he dropped his bottles cold turkey I see hes so hungry. Heres what my toddler will eat
Mashed potatoes

Hate to break it to you, but as a mom of many picky kids and previously and current picky toddlers, your son eats a pretty big variety already
My kids also fill up in milk bottles which I hate

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 5:48 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Hate to break it to you, but as a mom of many picky kids and previously and current picky toddlers, your son eats a pretty big variety already
My kids also fill up in milk bottles which I hate
Anything your picky kids eat thats not on my toddlers list? I need more ideas. My son wont touch simple sandwiches such as rye bread with pb or cream cheese, butter.
He wont touch any form of eggs. No hardboiled or scrambled eggs.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 5:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
Mashed potatoes

I have a picky 4 year old who is like this but eats way less than what you listed. I put out a variety of fresh fruits every morning with oatmeal and sourdough. Lunch is usually a sourdough sandwich with butter (the only spread he’ll eat). Dinner is usually a bite of a grain, and he’ll fill up on salad which he loves.

I don’t bother him with food and don’t make a big deal. I’m always offering different foods but don’t expect him to eat anything. He’ll try different things and usually likes one or two things but never for too long. I also always make sure to have a ‘safe food’ like broccoli or homemade fries which he loves.

HappyMamma

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:25 pm
What about cheese sticks or sliced cheese? You can also try yummy smoothies and add a little protein powder to it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:33 pm
HappyMamma wrote:
What about cheese sticks or sliced cheese? You can also try yummy smoothies and add a little protein powder to it.
I wish! My toddler wont touch sliced cheese. Obly when melted on pizza and no smoothies either

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 10:41 pm
My toddler is extremely picky, but I noticed you wrote he won’t touch eggs - what about French toast? I make that with whole grain or sourdough and include a full egg.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:42 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
My toddler is extremely picky, but I noticed you wrote he won’t touch eggs - what about French toast? I make that with whole grain or sourdough and include a full egg.
french toast is a big no no. He doesnt like eggs and bread he also doesnt eat. So french toast isnt something he eats. I used to make it for him. Playe went totally untouched. Hes so stubborn. He looms at the food and then if he decides he doesnt want it he wont even agree to taste. I mean which other toddler only has grape juice for the shabbos meals? My toddler wont touch no chllah, dips. Only grape juice. If im lucky my toddler will have some soup

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Oct 15 2023, 11:45 pm
Just be happy. My two year old will not touch most of these foods and has food allergies to boot. Your son is fine. Let him eat what he enjoys. Hatzlacha

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 12:33 am
Try everything. Seriously. Lots of exposure. Don’t pressure him or make a big deal about it. He really doesn’t need to eat very much. Toddlers don’t usually have big appetites and their growth slows down a lot. It’s normal.

My toddlers sometimes like: edamame, raw tofu, dipping foods in hummus and tehina, roasted cauliflower, chickpeas

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:01 am
tichellady wrote:
Try everything. Seriously. Lots of exposure. Don’t pressure him or make a big deal about it. He really doesn’t need to eat very much. Toddlers don’t usually have big appetites and their growth slows down a lot. It’s normal.

My toddlers sometimes like: edamame, raw tofu, dipping foods in hummus and tehina, roasted cauliflower, chickpeas

This. This. This.

Don’t take pressure and don’t give over that pressure to your toddler. And lots of exposure to different foods.

Cookin4days

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 1:21 am
HappyMamma wrote:

Any protein powder you recommend?

HappyMamma

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:13 am
I really like the Orgain brand, all natural healthy stuff in it. The chocolate one is great! Just add some yogurt, milk and a banana - keeps you full for hours.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:21 am
HappyMamma wrote:
I really like the Orgain brand, all natural healthy stuff in it. The chocolate one is great! Just add some yogurt, milk and a banana - keeps you full for hours.

This idea is great in theory, but what I've seen is that kids who consume a lot of filling liquids tend to not eat a lot, and this really is counterproductive when you're trying to expand their range of accepted foods.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:25 am
tichellady wrote:

Exactly this. Never assume he won't like something, just keep putting things on the table. Always include some foods you know he likes, plus some new for him foods.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:33 am
My toddler won't touch sliced cheese or cheese sticks but for some reason likes shredded cheese sprinkled on his tray.

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 10:48 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
My toddler won't touch sliced cheese or cheese sticks but for some reason likes shredded cheese sprinkled on his tray.

Yes! My kids actually like shredded frozen pizza cheese sometimes.

MyUsername

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 3:06 pm
Pancakes. They have eggs so have protein. They have a nice smooth consistency and are sweet, so they work well for many toddlers.

YounginBP

Post Mon, Oct 16 2023, 3:26 pm
Cottage cheese
Mashed potatoes
French fries, baked in oven
My no bread toddler likes rice
Avocado chunks

No potato kugel or salmon?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics