Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Ok to give grandchildren this toy?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:00 am
I saw a toy for sale which makes a great toy for older children. Problem is it has lots of very small pieces which can pose a hazard for babies/toddlers.
Is it ok to buy it for Chanukah for my grandchildren even though they all have babies at home?Or is it not fair to gift them with this?

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:02 am
Ask their parents it is up to them

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:03 am
Ask your children first.

We have legos and keep them in the attic for play, where toddlers and babies dont go.

If I didn't have a safe, dedicated space for games with small pieces, I wouldn't open your gift.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:09 am
This reminds me of when I was an overwhelmed mother of a few littles. One of the chinese auction catalogs was advertising a set of 3 popular building toys, maybe clics, trios, legos, or something like that. In a big star it showed "over 1500 pieces!"

I clearly recall thinking to myself how I would not give such a gift to my worst enemy! I could not fathom wanting another 1500 toys all over my already cluttered floor.

Once my kids receive a toy I generally let them keep it but I much prefer toys that are hard to break and don't have a million pieces for me to clean up!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:14 am
Ok so I guess this isn’t the greatest idea to buy

smss

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok so I guess this isn’t the greatest idea to buy

Two out of three posters said to just ask your children first. Why not do that?

Depending on the space they have in their homes and how much it might benefit their older children, maybe it would be worth it to them. Just ask!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:42 am
smss wrote:
Two out of three posters said to just ask your children first. Why not do that?

Depending on the space they have in their homes and how much it might benefit their older children, maybe it would be worth it to them. Just ask!

I will do that but I’d rather buy the same toy for all so I might just make it simpler and purchase something else that’s safer

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:43 am
You should ask,
I have babies that don't put things in their mouths so if my mother or mil will give a gift to the older kids that has play value I would be so thankful.

Much rather a toy with lots of pieces if it for older kids whom can tidy it up after themselves that they getting gadgets that don't interest them or take a lot of space

myname1

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:48 am
I agree it depends on the parents. I know some who don't allow anything with small pieces in their house because it's too risky for little ones. I allow pretty much everything. I feel like it's worth it to me to watch my little ones very carefully if it lets my bigger ones not be so bored!

SG18

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:36 am
amother Clematis wrote:
This reminds me of when I was an overwhelmed mother of a few littles. One of the chinese auction catalogs was advertising a set of 3 popular building toys, maybe clics, trios, legos, or something like that. In a big star it showed "over 1500 pieces!"

I clearly recall thinking to myself how I would not give such a gift to my worst enemy! I could not fathom wanting another 1500 toys all over my already cluttered floor.

Once my kids receive a toy I generally let them keep it but I much prefer toys that are hard to break and don't have a million pieces for me to clean up!

I got a box of magnatiles and keep 5 out at a time. My toddler loves it, and I love not cleaning up!
I"yh, when she's older and can clean up more independently, we can use more pieces.

SG18

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:36 am
Definitely ask! I wouldn't use it, but I would put it away for later.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:43 am
I would definitely ask as if my children would get a totally like that. I would be fine with that even though I have toddlers and babies. My older ones can use a toy like that in their room until the baby is not at the stage of putting stuff in their mouth. Also, my kids do not put stuff in their mouths for a very long time so I don't have that issue mostly.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:56 am
I started being ok with this when my older kids were older & more responsible & we moved into a larger house. So I guess it all depends.

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 10:59 am
I would be fine with it. I have a designated area that is for such toys and the babies don’t have access. It really depends on her set up. But older kids tend to need toys with little pieces so they likely have some and most people figure out a system.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:14 am
I really would ask and not assume no. I had a bunch of kids close together, and then had one more when the youngest was 7. When I was in the stage of having 5 under 7, then yeah, my answer would likely have been no. But now being in the stage of having a toddler and then the rest are 8 and up, I'd love to get a toy that's good for the older ones, they're old enough to be careful, we can easily keep them contained to one area and just keep the little one out of that area. So it really depends and you should ask.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 11:43 am
As the previous poster said, when it was just one child and most were all toddlers/babies, I would have never wanted such a toy. Now when more are older and there's just one baby/toddler, I need older children toys and we have a playroom for toys and we're careful where baby is.
I found board games were the best gift. My younger ones love playing games, even if they can't really play properly, whilst my older ones would play it properly when their younger siblings weren't around.

Rabbit613

Post Sun, Oct 22 2023, 2:52 pm
Most of my babies always had a pacifier in their mouth and would never take it out so small pieces was not a concern for me.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:23 pm
can I just say how thoughtful of you to think of this? and to consider asking? and to be gift giving in the first place?! so nice!
at the same time I can say personally, most toys with small pieces at some point end up in the garbage. very few things that are not baby safe stay in my apartment, for example we have slime and playdough that kids know is not for babies/little kids. but playmobile stayed for some time and after pulling pieces out of baby's mouth one too many times it went in the garbage, and I haven't bought beading sets for my older daughter yet because I don't think it would stay safe.
good luck with your choice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers