Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
S/o legumes and dairy for protein

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 6:19 am
Someone in a previous thread posted:
Quote:
As for weekday, nothing like a hearty healthy soup to fill up a crowd of kids. I agree with above poster that proteins are overrated. I'd rather my kids have simple foods but be able to share with others.

I live in Israel, so the foods here are different, but for us, cottage cheese+tomato is supper. Or roasted sweet potatoes + israeli salad. Blended root veggie soup with croutons. Omlette with salad and farfel. Cous cous with stuateed onion. You get the idea...

they're in school for lunch. We only have fleishigs on Shabbat, and Sunday for leftovers. They are BH healthy with legumes+dairy for proteins for 4 days a week.

I'd love to hear more about how this family or any other similar-eating family eat on a daily/weekly basis. I am forever trying to make balanced meals my kids will eat, and I have one that eats very close to nothing and a couple others very close behind in that race. What do they eat at home and at school on a typical day? Would love some new ideas!!

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:21 am
One big factor is if your kids haven't been eating legumes since they were very small, introducing it to older kids is a tough sell. My younger ones who grew up on veggie chilli and home made chumus are very happy with it. My older ones are not.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 9:52 am
If you have any good recipes for this kind of thing, I'd love if you could share. It's not like most of my kids are perfectly happy eating shnitzel or meatballs anyway. I could switch fairly easily I think and maybe get just as many complaints but probably not more. What do you serve the homemade chumus with? Can you give me an idea of typical meals you serve? I'm just looking for new ideas since I haven't found anything yet that works for my family. (Except ordering pizza! B"H for that!!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen