Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
S/O cosleeping
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:10 am
amother Oak wrote:
You should never have to do that. Baby will reposition if they can’t breath on their own.

Even a sleepy baby a few days old? The nurses in the hospital told me I need to.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:13 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Even a sleepy baby a few days old? The nurses in the hospital told me I need to.

Even a baby a few hours old…. I have no idea why your nurses would say that.

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:21 am
amother Oak wrote:
Even a baby a few hours old…. I have no idea why your nurses would say that.

This isn’t true. A sleepy baby might need help with positioning. You should be careful not to block their nose.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:31 am
amother Snow wrote:
This isn’t true. A sleepy baby might need help with positioning. You should be careful not to block their nose.

Help in order to feed successfully. Not help in order to breathe.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:32 am
I'm sorry for the tangent but I'm curious about this. My baby aspirated milk in the delivery room. Someone (non-medical) told me it could've been because I only had one nostril clear- the other was pressed against my breast. And maybe the clear one was congested or something. Is this possible?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 7:05 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Going back to the biological design idea, you would babywear for naps. Some people contact nap. Some use a crib or bassinet just for naps.

When babies start moving, I keep an arm around them the whole time (learned this the hard way). Not my preferred sleeping position but it works. Some families are smart and use a floor mattress so baby can safely roll off.

Around as in, under the head and on the back?

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:17 pm
I dropped my less than 1 week old baby on the floor. I was sitting up to feed her and I fell asleep burping her. Bh she's ok but lesson learned. After that, I coslept with the rest of my kids. I felt it was safer than taking the very real risk of dropping a baby.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 8:43 pm
I cosleep because my babies don't want to sleep in the crib and I need my sleep.
For my first I would nurse him in bed and once he was sleeping I would move. I usually sleep with my hand around the head.
With my second who was much more active I put a bed rail so he doesn't fall off the bed and I sleep In whatever position I feel best usually my back towards baby.
I am always scared of not hearing the baby cry because a few times the baby was sleeping in the crib and in the morning was in my bed. I obviously took him in my sleep but I dont have any memory so now im scared of not hearing baby.
I feel safe cosleeping because I am not taking any meds, drugs, or alcohol. I am also very intune with my babys body in my sleep, I have never come close to rolling on top (and I dont stay still when baby isnt on my bed)

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 10:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not really hearing any benefits besides convenience and it sounds like a yatzah scharo bihefseido kind of thing (you lose whatever you might gain) so why do people do it over having a bassinet right next to their bed?

Because you can nurse lying down.

It was safer for me. I was so sleep deprived and my baby wanted to nurse so long and often I fell asleep while nursing her when she was 3 days old, I was sitting in bed and she fell to the ground.

She fell another time to when I fell asleep while nursing. At some point I tried cosleeping and I felt it was a lot safer for me to get more than 3 hours of sleep a night

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:11 pm
I wish I can do that. My babies need help nursing. Reflux, ties. Everyone’s babies nurse so well without help ?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:44 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
I wish I can do that. My babies need help nursing. Reflux, ties. Everyone’s babies nurse so well without help ?

Some of mine do too. I teach them to nurse lying down as soon as I can.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 30 2023, 11:55 pm
missmuffetsmum wrote:
What about once the babies start rolling/crawling?!
Always been curious about that one... And if they get used to so-sleeping, how does it work for naps?

At that stage Im not a niddah and we push our beds together. So baby is between me and husband or me and wall...

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:54 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
With newborns, how do you make sure their nose is clear of your breast while you are sleeping? I was told I have to press my breast to keep it away from their nose so I did that for several weeks.

This. It's a full time job. She pulls off if I don't.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 6:30 am
amother Silver wrote:
Around as in, under the head and on the back?

My arm rests over the baby's head and by their side. It curls around them.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 6:47 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
This. It's a full time job. She pulls off if I don't.

Same. Or you have small breasts. I've noticed many people don't need to do this as much.

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 7:04 am
amother Khaki wrote:
Same. Or you have small breasts. I've noticed many people don't need to do this as much.

I definitely do not. Haha helppp

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 7:14 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
I definitely do not. Haha helppp

It depends on how baby is positioned. Try latching baby with a football (? Left hand for right breast and vice versa) hold. You can switch hands once baby is latched if you prefer. This should help.
Also pulling in baby's legs closer to you will tilt head more.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics