Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleeping at night

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 10:27 am
My baby is 6 months and is still up very often nursing. Most times I feed her one side and then she falls asleep and then wakes up about 11/2 hours later to finish feeding so I basically get no sleep. How do I know if she’s really hungry or just something her body is used to doing?
I need sleep just don’t know what’s normal for this age

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 11:38 am
If you're confident that she's getting enough in the daytime then you can assume she's waking for comfort. Not that it necessarily helps...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 11:56 am
The question is how do I know? I have no idea if she’s waking up because she’s hungry or not

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 12:01 pm
If she's not getting enough calories during the day, she is probably hungry at night.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 12:12 pm
How often do you feed her during the day?

Try and make sure she gets all her feeds in the day.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 1:31 pm
She is probably hungry. It’s very normal for 6 months old to nurse throughout the night. A lot of babies take in a lot of their caloric intake in the night hours.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 1:43 pm
I also just started her on solids last week but don’t see any difference. I was hoping she would sleep longer

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 1:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
I also just started her on solids last week but don’t see any difference. I was hoping she would sleep longer

If you started solids last week she is most likely not getting enough to make a real difference yet.

Elilove

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 1:51 pm
If you’re unsure if she’s getting enough during the day you could try doing an extra feeding. As long as you feed her throughout the day and she eats nicely she should be full at night. An idea my pediatrician recommended was to cluster feed closer to bedtime so they are more full for the night, then if they wake up it’s most likely just what their body is used to.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 1:56 pm
My baby is the same age and also doing this. I think it's a growth spurt. He suddenly outgrew his footies. They also go through developmental leaps and can use the extra comfort.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 1:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
My baby is 6 months and is still up very often nursing. Most times I feed her one side and then she falls asleep and then wakes up about 11/2 hours later to finish feeding so I basically get no sleep. How do I know if she’s really hungry or just something her body is used to doing?

When she falls asleep after one side, switch to the other side and as soon as there's a flow, she should start eating again. This should fill her up more so she could sleep longer

honey36

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:15 pm
As long as she is a healthy weight, you don't need to feed her so often at night. Have you tried just comforting her or rocking her back to sleep instead of nursing every time?

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Nov 05 2023, 2:29 pm
Sometimes babies are thirsty or nurse for comfort and that’s normal as well. If you aren’t sure better to feed her then to not feed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics