Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
S/O Baby sleep method corrected poll

How did you put your baby to sleep and how hard was it to put them to sleep as a toddler and child?
I nursed my baby to sleep and it was extraordinarily difficult later on  
 15%  [ 7 ]
I nursed my baby to sleep and it was not extraordinarily difficult later on  
 34%  [ 15 ]
I used other methods (no crying) and it was extraordinarily difficult later on  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I used other methods (no crying) and it was not extraordinarily difficult later on  
 11%  [ 5 ]
I used other methods (some crying) and it was extraordinarily difficult later on  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I used other methods (some crying) and it was not extraordinarily difficult later on  
 34%  [ 15 ]
I used other methods (much crying) and it was extraordinarily difficult later on  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I used other methods (much crying) and it was not extraordinarily difficult later on  
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 44

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:58 am
I messed up the poll in my other thread and can't edit it so please vote in this corrected version.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 10:58 am
I responded with ‘some crying’ and BH no issues since. When I say some crying, I mean that I weaned her off night feeds and then took her out of my room and then put her to sleep with her siblings. So each step involved a little bit of crying but not much BH and it was so good for her, since then she sleeps so well bH.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 11:20 am
I'm also not sure about the difference between "some crying" and "much crying." Especially because I've trained multiple kids.

I have six kids, ka'h. Did CIO with all of them. Other than with my first (who I had no idea what I was doing), there was crying that felt like a lot at the time, but in retrospect was pretty short. My easiest cried for about ten minutes, not even that strongly for most of the time, for the first night, and only a few seconds for the next few nights. My second-to-easiest was close to that. My three other kids had a few hard nights and then were trained.

I think a couple of them took two different steps. The hardest was training them to go to sleep on their own without nursing, rocking, etc., at around 4-6 months. (The others did this naturally because I didn't nurse them to sleep from the time they were born.) Then a few months later I trained them to sleep through the night when I felt they were ready.

They have been B"H fantastic sleepers ever since, even though they've shared rooms, visited relatives, etc. They do have sound machines when they're little, but that's mostly because I can't keep on shushing their older siblings every time they're napping or sleeping.

My oldest, though...training him was a dumpster fire. It was awful. Maybe because I felt guilty and lost and he could feel it? Maybe because of his personality? (He does have a very strong personality, even now as a teen.) There were lots and lots of tears on both ends, and not enough sleep. He also did horribly with sharing a room and has had his own room since he was five or so and we built a room for him because it was just not working. He's still the only one in our family who has had his own room other than as a baby or very young toddler.

I voted "much crying," though, because I felt that was the most honest answer in our situation.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:10 pm
Hm, I wonder whether people who nursed their babies to sleep and have challenging sleepers would be less likely to vote. They might still feel that on principle babies should be nursed to sleep, might even do it with all of their babies, and feel like if they vote that their kids have a hard time sleeping, it will convince other people not to do it even though they feel that it's correct despite the potential difficulties.

Or they will feel that the difficulties were not "excessive" down the road, since after all, motherhood is supposed to be all-encompassing, isn't it? I've found that mothers who nurse to sleep, cosleep, etc. tend to feel like this, which means that they may not respond the way you want them to, to this poll.

Just a thought.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:35 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Hm, I wonder whether people who nursed their babies to sleep and have challenging sleepers would be less likely to vote. They might still feel that on principle babies should be nursed to sleep, might even do it with all of their babies, and feel like if they vote that their kids have a hard time sleeping, it will convince other people not to do it even though they feel that it's correct despite the potential difficulties.

Or they will feel that the difficulties were not "excessive" down the road, since after all, motherhood is supposed to be all-encompassing, isn't it? I've found that mothers who nurse to sleep, cosleep, etc. tend to feel like this, which means that they may not respond the way you want them to, to this poll.

Just a thought.

Yes, I thought of this too. It also seems to me that a higher proportion of people who nurse to sleep voted than I usually seem to come across, but I could be wrong. Also, now that I see the results I think I should have used less strong terms for the difficult options. Something like "very difficult" instead.

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:52 pm
I nursed my baby to sleep, she is two and still not sleeping through the night, I am exhausted and I will admit that I do sometimes let her cry now. I would do it again, though, our bond is incredible and I cannot compare it to my older kid who I sleep trained at 6 months (against my better judgement)

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:54 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:

Just a thought.

Nah, I dont think all babies should be nursed to sleep, I think everyone needs to do what works for their families! Every baby is so different, some are more chilled and sleep training works and some it does not work for and they need more soothing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:55 pm
amother Pear wrote:
I nursed my baby to sleep, she is two and still not sleeping through the night, I am exhausted and I will admit that I do sometimes let her cry now. I would do it again, though, our bond is incredible and I cannot compare it to my older kid who I sleep trained at 6 months (against my better judgement)

I appreciate your response, because my poll just asks about difficulty, not about if you think it was worth it.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 1:59 pm
I do some crying and BH most are good sleepers and I don't have to cosleep against my will very often. Although, some of my kids turned into sleep walkers and that's annoying, but I doubt any connection.

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:17 pm
I'm still nursing my 18 month old to sleep. Twisted Evil I voted its hard, because it is! I don't see an end. I cannot go on a small vacation with dh and leave with grandparents.

My older one dropped nursing at 12m, I let him have a bottle until 15, then I did gentlish methods to get him to sleep. Bh he is a great sleeper 3.5 years later.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 2:35 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:

Just a thought.

Actually, right now the only ones on this poll who voted difficult are the nursing mothers. The other poll has two non-nursers who voted difficult.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Nov 08 2023, 9:00 pm
You're right. Bumping this because I'm finding the results interesting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics