Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
S/O are there really names that gedolim say not to use
Previous  1  2

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 12:52 am
amother Burntblack wrote:
Don’t name your daughters after Sara Ameinu. I am in my 50s and still menstruating after my DH and I are done with our family. Over 40 years of menstruation, still ovulating, and a never-ending supply of unneeded eggs. My DH jokes I will still be fertile in my 90s like my namesake. But at this point it is not funny. 😔

But seriously, this name thing is ridiculous and superstitious. I am sure there are people with my name struggling with fertility issues. 😔

I'm not sure you understand who Rav Chaim was if you can say that it's ridiculous and superstitious. In fact, I'm sure you don't.

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:25 am
realsilver wrote:
thats dina . I know people that were told not to give dina as its a name of din

Is this for real?
"People" meaning one couple or "people" meaning lots of couples?
Can I ask which rov said that?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:32 am
Rav Chaim has a whole book - it's not just the Shira thing that people love to talk about.

Also, as a separate point - I've definitely heard of people being told specific things on a case by case basis, names not to use for a specific child - I wonder if sometimes those stories get distorted and generalized.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 2:14 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
And my MIL went to rav chaim who told her to dafka name her daughter Shira. Cant believe everything you hear

Right, I'm not sure I believe that Tongue Out

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 2:30 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Rav Chaim has a whole book - it's not just the Shira thing that people love to talk about.

Also, as a separate point - I've definitely heard of people being told specific things on a case by case basis, names not to use for a specific child - I wonder if sometimes those stories get distorted and generalized.

Which book?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 2:38 am
AFAIK Reb Chain ע"ה was against all female forms of male names. Ariela, Israela, Daniela etc.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 2:40 am
amother Petunia wrote:
Which book?

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 2:51 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Thanks! Which names does he discuss?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 2:53 am
amother Petunia wrote:
Thanks! Which names does he discuss?

I don't have the sefer - someone on imamother once posted a screenshot of lists of names he wrote not to use - but I don't know if I would be able to find it now.

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 3:49 am
amother Stone wrote:
How can he change his name?

He also converted, and I thought his own biblical name was ok but when he spoke to the Rav he recommended adding a name. I was told this afterwards

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 7:50 am
We asked Rav Chaim about my modern Hebrew name (not Shira) and were told to change it.
OTOH I know someone who asked him about whether to name their daughter Tehilla and he said it's good, and then he quoted 'Tehillas Hashem Yedaber Pi".

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:42 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Right, I'm not sure I believe that Tongue Out

ok...
Should I give you my MILs number to call to verify this? She doesnt speak english though, only Hebrew.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 1:49 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
are you serious? I know personally a Shira that changed her name on his advice

this is what my MIL and SIL told me. my SIL is 23, regular frum chareidi bais yaakov girl. We're sefardi. Maybe rav chaim held differently with sefardim I dont know. I dont like the name shira so I wouldnt use it myself, but it was interesting that this is what my MIL was told to name

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 2:15 pm
Why are adults asking rabbanim to approve the names they already have? Aside from would-be gerim asking for guidance on choosing a Hebrew name, or BT's who don't remember theirs or never got one, what would impel a person to suddenly go ask if their name is OK? Do you one day decide you don't like the name you were given and ask a rav to change it? Do you hate your parents and want to divest yourself of everything they ever gave you, including your name? Have you undergone a "gender reassignment" and need to change your name for that? Though, let's get real, if you're doing gender reassignment, an Orthodox rabbi is the last person you'd be asking for advice about choosing a new name.

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Nov 17 2023, 3:09 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
Don’t name your daughters after Sara Ameinu. I am in my 50s and still menstruating after my DH and I are done with our family. Over 40 years of menstruation, still ovulating, and a never-ending supply of unneeded eggs. My DH jokes I will still be fertile in my 90s like my namesake. But at this point it is not funny. 😔

But seriously, this name thing is ridiculous and superstitious. I am sure there are people with my name struggling with fertility issues. 😔

I’m pretty sure Sara Imeinu laughed because she was not menstruating at her tender age of 90.

Off topic, Just curious did you nurse clean for years? Perhaps there are lots of eggs in storage because of that?

amother
Lily

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 8:06 pm
Heard not to use names Lila and Maya
shira and Eliana
Don’t know specific details though

Also curious to hear regarding boy names- another thread people mentioned yeshaya to not use since he had a hard life?
Also does Daniel have a din name also?

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 18 2023, 11:46 pm
amother Lily wrote:
shira and Eliana

Also curious to hear regarding boy names- another thread people mentioned yeshaya to not use since he had a hard life?

And I’ve heard from a different gadol that Maya is a “good name” and he recommended that I add it to my own. (I added a different name.)

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Nov 19 2023, 1:36 am
amother Lily wrote:
shira and Eliana

yes daniel is also din
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names